• Commuter Rail Electrification

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

• 126 posts
  by Diverging Route

During a recent webcast, TrainRiders Northeast noted they have budgeted 14 minutes for the engine change at New Haven for their proposed Boston North Station to NY Penn service (via the Grand Junction, Worcester, Springfield, Hartford, New Haven).
  by nomis

New Haven station has a physical plant that makes engine changes efficient for both East and West bound through trains. That 15 minutes was even with the addition/subtraction of a coach off the head end of the consist in one cut for the Vermonter.

Unless you are going to alter the physical plant with switches mid-platform, you will not be able to achieve anywhere close to that level of efficiency in stub-ended terminals.
  by CRail

Nonsense. There is zero reason you can't cut cars in a station, do a class 1 inspection, and send it out again within the time frame a set typically lays over anyways. All you'd need for the station to be staffed with a full mechanical crew.
  by Trinnau

That carries it's own risk in the inspection uncovering defects that aren't easy fixes, you don't want that in the terminal. Cut and drop to ground air/ground power to keep the test and the internal coach temperatures moderated. Still likely requires a mechanical crew.
  by CRail

Actually I said the wrong thing, I meant a class 1A inspection, which is required any time the consist changes. If said equipment might fail that test, you don't want to be on it. I agree you'd want to keep the stuff on house air and power but that's not going to get you out of conducting the required tests. There's always the chance of a fluke, but you're typically not going to discover something after putting a train together that was not discovered in the previous maintenance inspection. Just like the required brake test every time a train changes ends, I've never seen one fail on the road. When I have seen it fail, it's been a valve or cut out cock improperly set.
  by Trinnau

I think we're on the same page as to process here but for clarification sake the test required when adding pre-tested cars or swapping ends is the same, it's a Class II (49 CFR 238.317). The scenario we're discussing here is item 4 after the morning rush and item 3 prior to the PM rush.
§ 238.317 Class II brake test.
(a) A Class II brake test shall be performed on a passenger train when any of the following events occurs:

(1) Whenever the control stand used to control the train is changed; except if the control stand is changed to facilitate the movement of a passenger train from one track to another within a terminal complex while not in passenger service. In these circumstances, a Class II brake test shall be performed prior to the train's departure from the terminal complex with passengers;

(2) Prior to the first morning departure of each commuter or short-distance intercity passenger train where a Class I brake test remains valid as provided in § 238.315(a)(1);

(3) When previously tested units (i.e., cars that received a Class I brake test within the previous calendar day and have not been disconnected from a source of compressed air for more than four hours) are added to the train;

(4) When cars or equipment are removed from the train; and

(5) When an operator first takes charge of the train, except for face-to-face relief.