Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Delay/Cancellation Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1562838  by RenegadeMonster

I think it's time for the 2021 thread.

Saw this alert this morning.
Due to a power issue on Train 1100 (7:13 am from West Gloucester) will operate without heat today. Passengers may consider Train 7182 (8:30 am from Beverly) for better travel conditions
Not a delay. Just no heat and we recommend waiting for the next train if you live in Beverly or south.
 #1562900  by octr202

And that next train is over an hour later...on a weekday morning. Impacting some of the busiest suburban stations on the commuter rail system.

Sigh...
 #1563492  by RenegadeMonster

Newburyport/Rockport Line Train 7182 (8:30 am from Beverly) is expected to depart Beverly 10-20 minutes behind schedule due to a last minute equipment swap caused by a mechanical issue.
An Extra train is originating at Salem at approximately 8:45 am making all stops into Boston to assist Train 7182.
Why not just Originate from Beverly and completely take over for 7182?
 #1563504  by nomis

Most likely the time delay of getting up to Beverly and changing ends (either on the main line, or in the pocket) would take too long, or other MOW activities would preclude the train from easily getting to Beverly.
 #1566791  by F40 screamer

i heard it was the 1057. rumored to have takin out some overhead wire with it
twropr wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm Apparently the HEP motor on Providence Line train caught fire this morning. Anyone know what kind of locomotive and why Amtrak service was held up? Here's the article:
https://www.masslive.com/traffic/2021/0 ... orted.html
 #1581936  by The EGE

Service Change ONGOING
On weekends through October, Middleborough, Kingston & Greenbush trains will originate & terminate at Braintree. Passengers will be accommodated by the Red Line between Braintree & South Station.
Outbound trains on the Greenbush Line will depart Braintree on the Quincy Center time.
This diversion will allow for tie replacement north of Braintree Station.
Updated: 10/4/2021 7:27 AM
Here's some rare mileage: Greenbush trains using the south leg of the Braintree wye.
 #1583079  by Diverging Route

Major issues on the Lowell line this morning:
  • 300 10-20 minutes inbound late due to a switch issue.
  • 301 30-40 minutes late outbound due to original set mechanical and a replacement set needed.
  • 302 60 minutes late due to signal issue AND mechanical issue. I was on 302 -- it was 30 minutes late at Anderson/Woburn, then the engineer went to the engine to "pipe in" the train (run from the rear with the conductor calling signals from the front, which limits the train to 30 mph). We then stopped again for unknown reasons just outside Winchester Center as well as by Magoun Sqaure.
  • 304 35 minutes inbound late due to late turn of 301.
 #1584622  by Commuterrail1050

Yesterday, train 425, the 1133 caught on fire due to a buildup of leaves on the track. Not sure how that happened or the exact cause, but it’s on multiple news outlets if anyone wants to read about it. Ended up cancelling that train from west concord to points out west and the inbound run got cancelled which meant for those few, the next one was 2 hours later. Ouch. Link: https://whdh.com/news/200-passengers-ev ... ncord/amp/
 #1592569  by chrisf

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm Litton Police "King St. extension railroad crossing closed. MBTA train struck a tractor trailer. Avoid area."

https://twitter.com/LittletonMAPD/statu ... PqoDR9fYbw
there are some better pics here: https://twitter.com/mikesacconetv/statu ... 9511486469

Another Fitchburg train hit a small sidewalk sized snowplow this morning in Waltham today: https://www.wcvb.com/article/commuter-r ... m/39224169
 #1596224  by Diverging Route

Downed wire (or as my conductor said on the PA this morning, "downed wiring") on track 2 near Hyde Park.

Providence line inbound 804 switched to track 3 at Readville for the rest of the inbound trip. Following inbounds on Providence and Franklin lines ran via the Fairmount branch, skipping Ruggles and Back Bay.
 #1597303  by RenegadeMonster

Anyone know what's going on with the Newburyport/Rockport Line?

I'm commuting into the office for the first time since Covid started tomorrow when looking up the train schedule online schedule shows no North Station or Chelsea stops and lists Orient Heights via Shuttle Bus as the end of the line.

The PDF version of the new schedule lists Chelsea and North Station.

Looking through all the service notifications the only thing I find remotely similar to what I see on the online schedule is Monday 5/23 through Sunday 6/5 Commuter Rail Service is suspended between Boston and Beverly being replaced with shuttle busses with connections to Orient Heights / Blue Line instead of North Station.

Are trains running to North Station right now? Seems odd the online, non PDF version of the schedule currently shows Orient Heights.