Railroad Forums 

• Communications

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #137519  by Johnny F

Why do NYA crews use cell phones instead of radios to talk to the towers?

#137534  by DutchRailnut

to keep railnuts and others from listening in.

#137542  by Johnny F

Thanks for playing, we have some wonderful door prizes for you....

#137548  by Scrap em Again

That is probably the main reason to keep buffs away, LOL :-). Every conductor on each crew is issued a cell phone for the railroad related purposes. Freights in general have to explain themselves in detail about their plans with the block operators, and dispatch, sometimes our excuses and lies can get lenghty!! So we opt not to clog the airwaves with the particulars. Recently there has been a new rash of incompetent and nervous new block operators, so they pretty much dont know what the hell is going on. We have to walk them thru and tell some how to do their job, issuing proper paperwork and such. It is a pleasure to work in manual block with FEC Chris, He is on the ball with paperwork!! And most train directors in Divide is equally on the ball. So the phone is a good way to get a proper understanding between all involved moving trains.

#137553  by Johnny F

Thanks Scrap.

#138034  by tushykushy

..... and when it comes down to talking to 204, gotta have the cell on hand!

#138240  by Johnny F

Did this start with NYA or did LIRR freight crews use cell phones at times too? I remember hearing Divide give instructions to road freights prior to NYA.

#138248  by DogBert

I doubt they had cell phones back then.

#138737  by mainline

They also had phones trackside to communicate with the towers. I remember one at the east switch of Pine Aire that was used by the RF 70 . I'm not sure if its there still.