Railroad Forums 

• Commonwealth of Pennsylvania railroad map from Kalmbach?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#385253  by Aa3rt

I recently won a February 1944 issue of "Railroad Magazine" on eBay. My reason for bidding on the item was for an article on the Tionesta Valley Railroad that ran in Warren and Forest counties.

However, while reading some of the other articles and advertisements I came across this ad that should pique the curiosity of any student of Pennsylvania state railroad history:

"PENNSYLVANIA For 50 Cents you can get a minutely detailed, 3-color map of Pennsylvania, the Keystone state where railroads sprouted and grew wealthy.

For every railroad operating, projected, or abandoned-steam or electric-is indicated to the tiniest accurate detail. Mountains and rivers are shown in brown and blue. Let your imagination ride free and you'll revel in the study of this map rich in the history of Pennsylvania. You couldn't spend 50 cents any better, so send in your order today.

Kalmbach Publishing Company 1029 N. 7th St. Milwaukee, Wis"

I'd love to see one of these. Guess I'll head back to eBay...
 #385556  by 2nd trick op

Many of the back issues of Trains in my collection contain ads for detailed railroad maps of both Pennsylvania and Colorado. The earliest issues in my posession date from the spring of 1949, so I'm suprised to find that the item in question dates from several years earlier. Please keep us advised if you should learn more.