Railroad Forums 

• Colorized B&W LV photos.

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#138623  by scottychaos

Im trying to work on my technique for colorizing B&W photos..
here are 2 recent attempts.
done with Photoshop 6.
they arent perfect, but im working on it! :P
Scot

#138689  by CAR_FLOATER

Scott, Scott, Scott.......

WOW! Great job, you have more patience than I will ever hope to have, apparently!

In fact, I have just finished dowloading them to my computer for my screen savers I like them so much!

Hey, if I send you a B&W pic of an as delivered pre-war switcher, wanna take a shot at it?

Ralph H.
S. Plainfield, NJ

#138697  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, I like CF's idea, about colorizing his pre-war switcher. (you know which one I am hoping for, CF :wink: ) Looks like a decent rendition of the PA, there Scott. Kudos. I have that program, but it is lying dormant, in my computer, as I have not figured it out yet. From the looks of your projects, I need to get motivated, here. Well done :-D :-D :-D Regards, :wink:

#138850  by scottychaos

thanks guys!
Hey, if I send you a B&W pic of an as delivered pre-war switcher, wanna take a shot at it?
sure! send me a pic!
I will give it a try..
I did a pre-war Alco S2, maybe a year ago, I have it on a CD somewhere..I will look for it.
but send me a photo if you have one!
send it to:
[email protected]

Scot
 #138876  by CAR_FLOATER

[quote="GOLDEN-ARM"]Hey, I like CF's idea, about colorizing his pre-war switcher. (you know which one I am hoping for, CF :wink: ) Looks like a decent rendition of the PA, there Scott. Kudos. I have that program, but it is lying dormant, in my computer, as I have not figured it out yet. From the looks of your projects, I need to get motivated, here. Well done :-D :-D :-D Regards, :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, I still need to make a copy of that ad, as soon as I figure out where I put it! I have a Jpeg of a HO model somebody did....Scott might need it for reference.

C.F.

#138880  by scottychaos

nah, I dont need a reference..
I have a few actual color photos of that scheme.
(in books)

Scot
 #138889  by CAR_FLOATER

Hey Scott....

Mind if I use one of your photos as my avatar? I seem to have lost mine (don't know why)....That is, if the site features let me even upload one, that is.....Just wanted to ask first.

Thanks,

R.H. the C.F.
 #138933  by scottychaos

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Hey Scott....

Mind if I use one of your photos as my avatar? I seem to have lost mine (don't know why)....That is, if the site features let me even upload one, that is.....Just wanted to ask first.

Thanks,

R.H. the C.F.
C.F.
sure! go for it..
but the site rules state "100 X 100 pixels" or smaller for an avatar..
complex photos often dont resize that small and look good..but you can try it!
railroad.net doesnt have any hosting for avatars, you need your own webspace for that..

which one would you like to use?
whichever one you *dont* want, I might use for my avatar!
thats a cool idea!
I just tried resizing them down to 100pixels wide..they look..ok.
not great, but ok.

Scot

#138935  by scottychaos

S-2

#138969  by CAR_FLOATER

As Joey Lawrence would say, "Whoah!".......I guess I'm showing my age (or lack of it) with that reference, eh Scott and Matt?
Excellent job, Scott, and thanks for the offer.......Now I remember, I was getting my avatar confused with that "other" list! Kind of explains why I don't have one here! I'll try the S-2 and see what happens.

Ralph

#138976  by scottychaos

Ralph,
here is the S2 reduced to 100pixels.

its not too bad!
if you like, go ahead and link to it right from my space.
I will leave it there.
the URL is:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... vatar3.jpg

(please dont anyone else link to it though!
I dont want to over-do the bandwidth usage from mylargescale.)

I will try changing my avatar to the Black Diamond..see how it looks.
Scot

edit..
I changed my avatar..hmmmm..not bad..
what do you all think?
 #139001  by CAR_FLOATER

Scott, that rocks!

Thanks a million, it looks awesome, as does the Black Diamond.......If you ever get out east, you have to come for an op session on my layout, and see my fleet of Alcos and Baldwins painted up like this!

Ralph

#139029  by scottychaos

Ralph,
no problem,
glad you like it! :-D

sure, I would like to see those models someday!
I dont make it down that way often, but I will let you know if I do!
Scot

#140032  by Matt Langworthy

CAR_FLOATER wrote:As Joey Lawrence would say, "Whoah!".......I guess I'm showing my age (or lack of it) with that reference, eh Scott and Matt?
Heck, I'll show my age by saying Scott's colorized pics are pretty "rad"! The streamliner under stormy skies is my favorite, but I'm sure you guys know that I'm pretty partial to red Alco switchers, too. :-) :-D