Railroad Forums 

• Colorful Comets and Light Engines on RVL

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#11705  by genesis11980

Keeping in the sprit of colorful Arrow III's, which are suspected to have orginiated at County, I saw some pretty severe grafiti on a train on the RVL today. A Comet III trailer was heavily painted below the windows for its entre length. The ajoining Comet IV was almost as badly taged. A neighboring CIIM also had some grafiti on it as well, but not as bad as the previous two cars. The cab, a CV, and two other coaches as well as the 4127 were untouched.

Training this train was a light engine move from Raritan featuring GP40FH-2 4134 and F40's 4124 and 4125. Is it safe to assume other power had prevoiusly been delivered to Raritan for Monday's commute?

#11808  by nick11a

Yeah, I saw C5 6572 on the NEC with some graffiti on Friday at Metuchen. Not too bad though.

Ashame that the consist you saw genesis was so badly graffitied.

#12038  by Sirsonic

That might have actually been the fuel move from Bay Head. With the fuel facility in Bay Head now shut down, the locomotives need to be taken elsewhere to be fueled. While the Hoboken trains can be fueled in Hoboken, the shuttle trains do not make it to a fuel track, and so the engines must be taken elsewhere. Also, on the weekend, no trains go to Hoboken, and so the same problem arises again. The locomotives should be taken to the MMC, but the fuel pad in the club is not working, and nobody seems to be in a hurry to fix it. Meanwhile, locomotives must go to either Raritan or Hoboken. With the new fuel track in Hoboken now open, if they dont fix the MMC fuel pad, I would expect them to go to Hoboken.

#12072  by nick11a

Why was the BH fuel facility shut down? Seems to me an important thing to have.

#12075  by genesis11980

Sir- That makes a great deal of sence regarding the re-fueling. A few Sundays back, I saw a similar power move in the afternoon with 2 GP40PH-2's and a SW1500(?) How long has the MMC fuel pad been shut down? Also, is it safe to assume that other layover faclities like Woodbine and Port Morris do not have fuel pads?

As an aside, the grafiti on these cars was the worst I've ever seen, covering the whole lower half of two cars from end to end. It was very reminiscent of the grafiti found on the NYC subway in the early 80's.

#12087  by Sirsonic

Trains no longer fuel at Bay Head due to NJT caving in to pressure from homeowners near the yard who complained about the noise from the yard. When the plans to rebuild the yard were first put together, it included a fuel facility, but local oppisition caused it to be dropped.

There are fuel facilites in Atlantic City, Raritan, Bay Head (out of service), the MMC (not working, will be fixed eventually), Hoboken, and Port Morris.

#12094  by EDM5970

Can't they refuel at BH from a truck? I know several shortlines here in NJ that use Taylor-

#12162  by Angus202

I caught the GP40FH-2 and 2 F40's on their way back to bayhead around 2:00 in the Briel area... with a second crew in 4134 sound asleep and their feet up on the control stand, fun stuff as I find it tough to catch engine moves on transit.

-Ryan

#12227  by Zeke

Grafitti tagging semed to die down the last few years but lately on the RVL there isn't a signal case ,underpass or adjacent building that has not been defaced. While some may think grafitti is cool, I think it is property destruction. Who at NJT could you call or write to ask if some type of property cleanup be instituted ? The whole ROW on NJT looks very rundown, trash strewn about, Grafitti YEE-C-HHH ! I guess these Vandals, not content to have tagged every freight car in North America, now must start on our passenger trains !

#12330  by nick11a

I'm kind of surprised that there is more Graffiti going on at Raritan than at other locations such as County. Raritan is nicer than County but I guess kids will be kids and when one does it and everyone else thinks it is cool, they follow.

#12384  by Mudvalve

I'm guessing it is done so that many others can see their "tags".

#12401  by F23A4

I've seen a number of Jersey Ave originating trains (AIIIs) tagged up. I tend to notice this on Mondays, as the vandals seem take advantage of AIIIs parked @ the Jersey Ave yard over the weekend.