Railroad Forums 

• Collision with CSOR in Springfield, MA - 8/31

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#162492  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, they did it again. CSXT at Springfield, Mass., early this morning crashed a train into the CSOR train, CS-1. The railroad is expected to be closed, until tomorrow, pending clean-up of the wreck site. There appeared to be no injuries, to our CSOR crew, but I will provide more details, after talking with all members involved. More details a little later, today. Regards :-D

#162504  by charlie6017

<sigh> Well I hope everyone involved is okay.

#162832  by CSX Conductor

Supposedly Q114 was at CP-99 ready to set-off on the van-site and the dispatcher lined them into track #4 (East Yard) instead of crossing over to track #3, on the opposite side of the main for those not familiar with West Springfield). The conductor noticed the iron was lined into the lead towards track #4 & told his engineer to "dump it" and jumped. Supposedly they struck the power of CSORR which was either working on 4 or waiting for signal and in turn put two or three pigs across the two track main.

Track was re-stored late afternoon / early evening, but crews were out-lawed all over the main between Selkirk & Boston.

Haven't heard anything about the CSX crew, but I'm sure the conductor will be taken out of service because they were operating on a Restricting Indication @ CP-99. :(

I saw 2 photos on NERail but they didn't show they damage clearly.

#163007  by GOLDEN-ARM

That's about the way it happened, all though I will add this, the Q-114 was ready to shove into the yard, from the west, at CP-99. The Selkirk dispatcher informed the Q-114 that they were to shove into track #3. The conductor acknowledged this, got a restricting signal, and told his engineer to shove back, into a clear track. Unfortunately, however, the route was lined for track 4, not track 3. The CSOR was waiting in track 4, with it's southbound train, and the conductor was doing the brake test. He looked up, and saw the CSX train heading towards his hind-end, at a speed that would not allow stopping before a collision. He took off running, to get away from the collision, and the impact was hard enough to derail many cars, from both trains, as well as shoving the CSOR locos, and train, down the track. The wreckage was cleared enough to allow operation of trains, at about 19:30 hours, last night. Failure of the CSX conductor to verify the routing of his train, and to protect the movement of his train, were the only factors relevent in this collision. No injuries were reported, from the CSOR crew, and it is undetermined by myself, the status of the CSX crew. It cannot be stressed enough, "PROTECT THE MOVEMENT", and protect your ass. This was unfortunate, as it was completely avoidable. Hopefully the CSX man had his job-insurance paid up....... Regards :(

#163108  by CSX Conductor

As I mentioned before, the Restricted Speed and failure to control the move is what the conductor will be in trouble for. Knowing this place they won't fire him for the wreck, but because he got off moving equipment :(

As for the crew: the engineer was cleared of any wrong when the Road Foreman reviewed the tapes. The tapes show that they were travelling at 9 MPH. The conductor usually goes west again on Thursdays, but he marked-off sick last night. As of now he has not been removed from service.

The road foreman informed the engineer of Q114-29 that the force of the impact moved the CSO's entire train west at least a car length. Needless to say the engineer of Q114 never fekt a thing.

Just glad nobody got hurt. :-) , even though the CSORR is a scab out-fit. :wink:

#163290  by GOLDEN-ARM

Don't understand the question. As a member of the BLET, since 1986, (and 4 years in the UTU before that :( )my view concerning the term "scab" is a person who crosses a valid, legal and authorized picket line, in order to take work from a striking union member. I am currently unaware of any "work-action/strike" being called, or in effect, on Amtrak, or the CSXT, at this time. I also believe that this carrier, and it's crews are free to work under whatever employee/management agreement that they have decided on, whether it is a "union" property, or not. That being said, Rail America crew members are members of the BLET also, on various properties across their system. Whether this particular property is a unionized property, or not, is not my concern. I am a contracted employee, of TCS/RTI, who trains, and operates for Rail America, the G&W, Annacostia & Pacific, etc...If the crew involved was a union crew, or a non-union crew, is really of no relevance, while sitting on their train, and being struck from behind, by a train moving unprotected, on THE WRONG TRACK. As a "Newbie", you should probably gain a little more knowledge, on the union subject, before you carelessly throw the term "scabs" aroiund, like that. Persons employed on non-unionized railroads, are indeed at a loss, for the benefits and protection offered by a union (especially the "right" one), but this in no way would make them scabs. You however, are entitled to your thoughts, whether they are right or wrong. Regards :P

#163428  by rocketman

As a union railroader with several years under my belt, a scab to me is any non unionized person performing a union mans work on unionized property. I think many will agree with me. It's not exactly their fault they're not unionized.

Consequently, to have an un organized worker performing our work for substantialy less pay, enduring poorer working conditions and unfair treatment, while the rest of us are trying to stick together for fair and equal standards in the work place - effectively undermines every effort to do so.

Therefore, it's understandable in nashville newbies defense to refer to who could possibly be non unionized worker performing work in what's otherwise considered a union shop - as a scab.

How is crossing a picket line any different than taking a union guys job and going into a union shop and performing the same work as a contractor? I know it goes on everyday, but for everytime CSX contracts out work, it's work that at one point was performed by a guy who was compensated and treated fairly and who is now probably out of work because some greedy company wants to line it's pockets off of the back of some poor soul willing to work for substandard wages and conditions.

There's your SCAB!

#163436  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, the only problem with that argument, is this "whose job was stolen ?" Conrail sold off a bunch of branch lines, that later became CNZR, P&W, CSOR, etc...The lines were sold by the carrier, not CSX, but Conrail. (remember them, they are the guys that sold the railroad out from under you, leaving you to become a CSX or NS man.) Railroad work is not union work, but your particular railroad may be a unionized railroad, as well as your particular craft. As I stated earlier, I have been a union member myself, since 1982. I have no problem working on a union, or non-union railroad. That is not my place, to say how the men should work their railroad. I will "talk-up" the benefits, of being in the union, but it is not my position to start a card signing drive, on anyones property. CSOR has trackage rights, granted by Conrail, and passed off to CSX. I always loved my job, with Conrail. It was a first class operation. But what happened, in the name of a profit, for some lousy shareholders was criminal. A great railroad was turned into two first class jokes. How many years has it been now, and these 2 carriers still can't move the traffic. It all moved, under "Big-Blue", and you can believe that. I will tell you the same thing I tell anyone, who lost a job due to a merger, or a carrier selling of a marginally profitable line. Your "bitch" is with the carrier, not the company that bought the line. Your carrier sold out the jobs. I watched many a branchline sold off, in my 23+ years railroading. I have never witnessed another railroad come onto a property, run off the employees, then steal their jobs. A scab is someone who crosses a picket-line, to take away a strikers job. No more, no less. If only you guys were so "passionate" about the pillage, and rape of your crafts, and jobs, at the hands of the UTU, but that is a topic for another forum. Regards :wink:

#163437  by GOLDEN-ARM

As a post subject here, the NECR has just joined the BLET, as part of the NYS&W division. The GC on the NYS&W will represent the members of the NECR, and a LC will be elected, for both the northern, and southern ends of the railroad. As for the CSOR, keep watching, for "further developments" :wink:

#163446  by Otto Vondrak

Let's keep this thread to the topic of the collision at Springfield?

A minor detail... a report today says that the collision happened with B-742, which is CSX's symbol for CSOR's CS-1, lest anyone get confused (like myself).

-otto-

#163449  by GOLDEN-ARM

My oversite, on the CSX symbol for the CS-1 there, Otto. Crew is well, and the CSX crew is also well, so no harm, no foul. Regards :wink:

#163454  by charlie6017

Probably better off closing the thread since it has pretty much run it's course. If there is more to report regarding the collision, I will gladly update this thread.