Railroad Forums 

• Codes/markings on trucks...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1097714  by Silvana

So... I'm doing the proper investigation regarding one of the locomotive builder, calling myself the LTI-Locomotive Technical Investigator...but well, regardless of that I am searching information about the codes that should be stamped on the trucks when casting them. Can I trace by that number the manufacturer? I've dealt with Barber trucks and they all have a 9 symbol code, but today I'm seating with 16 symbols which I got no clue what they mean (pardon my ignorance).

Is there anyone could decipher the meaning for me? I'm attaching a picture...
 #1100621  by ex Budd man

It seems to be the casting number; 202203, the revision- no revision, and the date of casting; Dec.1, 1938. The casting number could refer to the pattern/design or serial number.
 #1100847  by Allen Hazen

This would be old news to Sylvana, but any other readers wondering about such things (things like: what are the nine characters of the code on the side of a Barber freight car truck casting?) might start with this
http://www.sctco.com/pdf/sect_1.pdf
document. Second or third page tells what the nine digits stand for; scroll down for a table of the casting marks identifying (some, at least) different foundries.
 #1107749  by AVR Mark

If this is a "brand new" truck, the date code could probably mean that it was made on the 138th day of production of the year 12 (2012). That is not necessarily the same as the 138th day of 2012.

Mark