Railroad Forums 

• COCHECO BRANCH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#19205  by musehobo

The Cocheco Branch ran from Dover, NH to Alton Bay, NH. The only stations still standing are Alton Bay, New Durham, and Place. I am currently trying to find out if the Cocheco Station was moved or torn down. There is a small building , close to where the station was located that may or maynot be it. Any information of photo would be appreciated.
Dick Muse

#20596  by Steam

QUESTION: How did Place (or Place's) get its name? As a girl, my mother used to travel with her family to visit relatives up there and they got off the train at Places as the family homestead (Trask) was across the road. Pictures of the station show it looking more like an old house than a typical railroad station. What does anyone know about it?
 #27322  by rxr

I was on my way up to N. Conway and passed over what i think was the Cocheco branch. It looked like some type of construction, grading was happening. My instict was that it was being turned into a rail-trail. Any ideas out there?

#31029  by SnoozerZ49

Hi RXR,
If you are still looking for some info, let me know. Where did you come across the grade you suspect was the Cocheco. I believe the last active part of the line also known as the West Shore was from Rochester to Farmington where the Davidson Rubber Plant was served.
 #1077262  by musehobo

Gary does not list the Cocheco station in Dover. The only thing still on the line is where it cut off the main line , where the B&M people are and have an old boxcar there. The tracks were torn up where they crossed 4th Street a few years back and a housing project built.