Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#583157  by Otto Vondrak

Compare 2006:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=163092

with 1983:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=132499

So... who wants to get together and help repaint the sign on the side of the old Cobleskill Coal Company? :-)
 #583709  by Mem160

I hope they make it a State Historical Site, or at least County, to preserve it properly before it falls down or something; it'd be nice if they could even restore it a little bit :-D
 #583741  by Otto Vondrak

Mem160 wrote:I hope they make it a State Historical Site, or at least County, to preserve it properly before it falls down or something; it'd be nice if they could even restore it a little bit :-D
"They?" They who? The structure is on private property... I was just musing that it would be great to restore the letting on the building... I'd be happy just to get the brush cleared away...
 #583749  by Mem160

i didn't know it was private property, thought the building could be saved, otherwise why bother painting it....If CP owns it, it will be gone soon enough....
 #584197  by Mem160

OK Now I got what yor saying
BTW....you know it is coming out later this month in HO Scale
Last edited by Mem160 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #589255  by Steve Wagner

Go to www.branchline-trains.com and click on Coming Attractions, then scroll down to the bottom and click on Cobleskill Coal Co. to see three color photos of an HO model built from the kit that Branchline will be releasing in its Laser-Art Structures line shortly.
 #594514  by lvrr325

Hire some graffiti artists to do it, they could probably have it completely redone out of spray cans in one night -
 #594541  by RussNelson

Otto Vondrak wrote:I was talking about sneaking in there in the middle of the night, cutting all the brush, repainting the sign... pure fantasy on my part!!
The D&H Coal just a few feet off the ground would be trivially easy. The one high up on the side of the building, over the other roof? That would be a toughie. You'd practically need to rent a bucket truck. We could start with the lower one and see how it goes. When do you want to do this? It's getting a little cold this year to paint. Some time next summer?
 #596228  by Otto Vondrak

RussNelson wrote: When do you want to do this? It's getting a little cold this year to paint. Some time next summer?
Yeah I'm sure the property owner won't mind! lol! We'll cut some brush, paint some logos, bring out a grill, have a few hanburgers... it will be a grand ol' time!! :-D
 #596386  by RussNelson

Otto Vondrak wrote:
RussNelson wrote: When do you want to do this? It's getting a little cold this year to paint. Some time next summer?
Yeah I'm sure the property owner won't mind!
Oh, were we inviting him to help? I was thinking maybe not.

Actually .... it's not a totally crazy idea to ask. Ya never know how people feel about historic preservation, particularly when somebody else is volunteering to do the work. "Hey, you want us to paint your building for you, Tom? Can we? Huh? Please?"
 #596630  by Otto Vondrak

Mem160 wrote:I always thought that was RR property
Yeah, I really don't know. I'm just kdding around about all of this. Of course, if the owner of the property is game, so am I. I bet we could round up ten of us to take a very large model railroading project of paint and lettering!

Here's my shot from this past September:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/290 ... d82a06.jpg

-otto-
 #877130  by march hare

This proposal is no longer as brash as it might first appear.

A volunteer committee has recently repainted the "Robin Hood Flour" sign at the main street corner in downtown Cobleskill, only a few blocks away.

Cobleskill used to be a major shipping point for buckwheat flour.