Railroad Forums 

• Coal Dock in Bangor, Maine?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#621803  by MEC407

So Coalman, which railroad are you going to be working with, Pan Am or MM&A? (or both?)
 #621875  by Coalman

I talked with MM&A, They we're quite helpful. They gave me a contact and they will set up the logistics of the car moving across the different railroads. Norfork Southern is the rail the load originates. Can't just dump coal on the ground in Maine either. I talked to the DEP. This stuff has to be contained. Don't want coal dust running into the rivers. I got a price to truck some intermodal containers up from the "Container Capital of the World". Newark, NJ. You can bet I'll be talking to the rail people to compare prices.
 #621991  by CN9634

Hey Coleman,

This is pretty exciting that you are assembling some business for the railroad! While I know there really isn't a lot that we can do to create your business, I'm quite sure that everyone on this forum would help spreading the word and help you network with the local area consumers. Do you plan on having a business location and possibly website to promote your business?

Thanks!

Charles Hastings
2nd Year Candidate for BA in Communication
Minor in Business Marketing and Public Relations
 #622463  by Railcar

I just ran the MMA this fall on my speeder. I recalled that there is a chip yard in South Lagrange that appeared to be out of service. There is a reasonably long sideing but the big plus is there is a overhead / overrail gradeall type unit there that I think would work well to handle a bit of coal. Find the owner and work out a deal. This is about 18 miles south of Milo.
45.06.36.06N
68.49.03.80W
 #622653  by CN9634

Oh I forgot about that! That would be a great location to conduct this type of business. If you want to get to Dover Foxcroft its a 45 minute drive and if you want to get to Bangor it is also 45 minutes. Seems like a good location to go either way. Heres a good picture of the unloader with a description of how it works. http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20040 ... 329751.jpg
 #622676  by Coalman

That's a big machine for unloading lots of stuff. I might do three rail cars a year if things work out. It sure is interesting to see though. I might have to get a conveyor to load the trucks into my containers. I see a place off the northbound side of 95 that has conveyors outside in a lot. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for them next time up and drop in. Would be nice to find a cheap lot in Milo on a spur where I can convey right into my bins and cut out the trucking. I picked D-F - Milo area because the Mrs. and I are building and relocating to that area after 50 years in the city. Need a hobby and a way to heat the house. Pass on the transportation savings to the locals. Create a job or two and maybe even make a few bucks. Sure would be nice if it works. I'll be looking to do a website and advertise in a few papers too.
There was a passenger car on the side of the road at 4 corners Sebec, Seems it's gone now. Must have been a bear to move. Wonder where it went?
 #622731  by Mikejf

A little over a year ago I was up that way and saw what I think was A BAR passenger car in the middle of a field in the same area. Routes 6 & 16 between Milo and Dover-Foxcroft. Thought it looked kind of lonely out there.
Mike
 #673830  by Cowford

Coalman, I don't know if this is still an active topic, but if it is and you're still leaning toward conveyor systems, you may be able to buy an old one off of PAR. They had a Sacket brand undercar conveyor on the team track in Waterville... it was installed in 1988. I'd imagine it's since been removed, but could very well be on the property. Who knows, if it is still around, possibly PAR would sell it to you for scrap value and you could refurbish for coal???
 #677376  by donredhead

There is a coal dock in Portland ME on Guilford Pan Am RR. Do you need more info I could look them up for you?