Railroad Forums 

• CNW Yard Names

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#646294  by histree60

I have been looking for information on a relative who worked for CNW as of 1918 (as per his WWI registration). It states there that he worked in the "Calif yards." Was this in Chicago? Abbreviated for California?? He worked a line that went through Janesville and also Racine. Any ideas what line or trains that could have been? I have been having a terrible time tracking this man down. Next I need to try and locate a railroad death record.

Thanks for the help!

Tammy
 #646381  by SlowFreight

There's a California Ave. yard west of downtown Chicago, but I don't remember it dating back to the period you're looking for and it's located on the Illinois Division. If he worked out of Janesville and/or Racine, he was definitely a Wisconsin Division employee, maybe based in Milwaukee? The best place to seek help would be through http://www.cnwhs.org.