Railroad Forums 

• CNW former & current lines in Milwaukee

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#314346  by nixon414

Does anyone have any information, pics, websites, etc, regarding the former CNW line that ran along the lakefront in Milwaukee and along the Milwaukee River? Was their passenger service along any former/current line in Milwaukee? Any info at all would be appreciated.

#315382  by Wisconsin Railfan

Nice pictures! I lived about 2 blocks from the line in South Milwaukee, WI, and for a awhile there (can't remember the year) but the circus train would come through

#317159  by nixon414

Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know when the Lakeshore line was abandoned?

#317575  by SlowFreight

The lakefront passenger terminal was abandoned when Milwaukee Road opened its new terminal in May 1966. North Western moved all of its remaining passenger trains into the new depot. Trackage slowly receded away over the years as what remaining freight traffic came to an end, so I'm not sure how much was pulled out immediately following the move to the Milwaukee depot.

#499656  by CNW5022-A519

Hello Atlpete
Any Chance you could repost that link to those CNW pictures, I tried clicking on the sight link and could not get in to the sight.

#502920  by CNW5022-A519

Got the Link
Those pictures are great, the shots of the trains with the bridges is Winnetka IL. I wish I could have seen some of those 400s with my own eyes. The Scoots watched and fell in love with them.