Railroad Forums 

• CNJ stations near Newark and Elizabeth?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#796532  by clburton

I just wanted to know where the cnj stations are that are closer to elizabeth and newark. I would also like to know if they are still there or if there are being turned into something else.
 #797175  by Sir Ray

Are you including (passenger) stations that were IN Elizabeth or Newark, or just near?
Because most (all?) of the CNJ stations (e.g. Broad St, Elizabeth, the impressive Elizabethport station complex, even the airport station, plus others) are gone/unused.
I should add that the Newark Branch west of East Ferry St. was abandonded I think in the 1970s (The passenger services on it were discontinued earlier, due to the Aldene plan) and much of the ROW (Broad St. east up to the former Balletine complex) was since build on - this includes the Ferry St and E. Ferry St. stations. The Broad St. Station facade was saved, suppose to be an entrance to the arena or something eventually.
The CNJ 'mainline' (from the Jersey City Terminal, still standing and awaiting use in Liberty State Park) was more or less wacked by the 1967 Aldene plan, which sent CNJ service onto the LV/PRR at Cranford (Aldene) and then to Penn Station, Newark (not Manhattan). The Elizabethport station, an elevated station where the MainLine crossed the coast line, is somewhat intact (some trackage is used for freight connections, but I believe the line east of the station is gone). Elizabeth station still lives, unused for passenger service. There were a few other small stations I didn't mention, not sure if they still exist...
This might be interesting- it describes the end of the 'Bayonne Shuttle' in 1978, the truncated service between Bayonne 8th and Cranford left over after the Aldene plan pretty much elminated CNJ passenger service in Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey City/Bayonne.
 #798128  by Sir Ray

clburton wrote:i mean all of them in and around newark. I just want to know if the platforms are still there but if the building is there i would also to know that.
Well, I tried to give you a start, in that I mentioned Newark Broad St the facade is still there (abutting the new arena), Elizabethport much of the infrastructure still exists but the plaforms seem missing/overgrown, Elizabeth the station still exists.
Going across the Newark branch (Ironbound) via Bing, E. Ferry St. looks like it's buried under parking lots (I see nothing that looks like station platforms), Ferry St. is definitely gone (most of the former ROW between Monroe and 1 block east of Ferry - St. Charles st) has been heavily built on, mostly 2-3 story multi-family housing - these homes stand out in contrast to the surrounding structure.
Anyway, let me start you on bing at the former location of Elizabeth port station - if you havent done this already, you can follow the line/ROW North to Brill yard, and thence west to Broad St, or else head west and follow the line/ROW past Elizabeth (and the NEC) up to the Aldene connection near Cranford, where the CNJ mainline is active for passenger service.
 #817907  by firthorfifth06

Station List for Elizabeth:

Singers. This station was for the Singer Sewing Machine Co. and was closed when the new Newark Bay Span was built, as the span was above the level of the station
Elizabethport (approximately near 3rd Street in Elizabeth). A lot of the infrastructure still exists (as in overpasses and staircases)
Spring Street. Was located just after the Rt. 1 overpass, all traces gone
Elizabeth. Station building is still there, westbound canopy demolished after an oversized freight train derailed. Platforms still there too, just a lot of gravel all over them!
Elmora Avenue. Building is gone, but the staircase to the platform is still there if you are on Elmora just after the intersection of Rt. 28
Elizabeth Avenue. This station was on the Elizabeth and Perth Amboy (aka Chemical Coast) at Elizabeth Avenue. No trace left?

Station List for Newark:

Newark Airport. This station was on the branch to up toward Brills Yard, the station was only a small metal shelter. Station was opened in '45 and closed at Aldene in '67.
Newark Transfer. This station was located just after crossing the river from Kearny. The station was an island platform designed for an easy transfer from a Newark train to an Elizabethport train.
East Ferry Street, Ferry Street, and Broad Street (see previous posts)
 #834581  by faxman

there also a station on the Elizabeth, Roselle,Roselle Park borders called Lorraine. This was at the only grade crossing between Elizabeth and Middlesex.
 #836029  by Semaphore Sam

faxman wrote:there also a station on the Elizabeth, Roselle,Roselle Park borders called Lorraine. This was at the only grade crossing between Elizabeth and Middlesex.
Wasn't there a level crossing in Roselle? And another, until the mid-60's, in Garwood?
 #836377  by faxman

lorraine was at linden rd crossing. that was near the elizabeth/roselle/roselle park line. I don't think there was a crossing in garwood. the 1966 ett dosen't show a crossing there. That be earlier.
 #836381  by faxman

i just check some old maps of the area. In 1955 there was a crossing a center st. By 1966 is was gone. Center st. jogged to west under the tracks. The parking lot at garwood is the old center st.
 #836777  by Semaphore Sam

There was a program to eliminate level crossings twixt, say, Plainfield and Elizabeth in the '20's, and 30's. Westfield was done in the teens or 20''s. My mother was taking my brother and me (I was 10, he 8) across the Garwood level crossing in our new Dodge in Fall 1954; the car somehow got stuck, or stopped (there were 5 or 6 tracks, and a lot of traffic back then). The gatekeeper (there was a little grey round cabin for him) somehow got the car clear of the right-of-way...my mother was actually white with fear...the traffic on the CNJ then was very heavy. Interesting conversation at dinner table that night! Sam