Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Equipment names and equipment questions

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#465971  by NJTRailfan

Recently I saw a coach railcar at the Whippany Railway Museum named "Jersey Coast" What other names did the CNJ have? does anyone have a list? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I heard that they gave their obs cars some cool names as well.

Also were the CNJ Obs cars used on the Blue Comet arranges in a Lounge config or a coach config? If infact a coach config that would be boring. Why that instead of a lounge? Also are there any Blue Comet Diners or lounges left? Like maybe in the URHS equipment yard or elsewhere

#466174  by metman499

All of the Blue Comet cars were named after comets. I don't have a list handy. The Blue Comet diner is long since gone. Other than the diner and any head end I believe it was all coach. Why have lounges on a relatively short run where you can also put more fannies in the seats if yoiu have coaches.

#466277  by NJTRailfan

I would think that atleast for the Obs you could have a lounge like the oher railroads had in theirs even for short haul to those who were willing to spend the extra cash esp for the booze if a bar would be added.
 #466457  by Ken W2KB

NJTRailfan wrote:Recently I saw a coach railcar at the Whippany Railway Museum named "Jersey Coast" What other names did the CNJ have? does anyone have a list? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I heard that they gave their obs cars some cool names as well.

Also were the CNJ Obs cars used on the Blue Comet arranges in a Lounge config or a coach config? If infact a coach config that would be boring. Why that instead of a lounge? Also are there any Blue Comet Diners or lounges left? Like maybe in the URHS equipment yard or elsewhere
The Blue Comet obs had individual wicker chairs, e.g., a lounge. The Jersey Coast and other commuter club cars had club, not walkover coach seating.

#466628  by NY&LB

Back to the first question, CNJ "named" cars.. I recall and have photos of:

Red Bank

Monmouth

I'm sure there were others...I'll have to check my old slides.

#467245  by steemtrayn

The ones I remember when I was a kid in the '60's were Jersey Shore. Jersey Coast, Red Bank (2), Beachcomber, Bay Head and Monmouth. Also, observation car 1178 was used on the same train as Monmouth, 2nd car from the end, and was open to the public. The interior was just a plain coach.

#470445  by Otto Vondrak

NJTRailfan, there are some great books on the CNJ that have pictures of the passenger trains in action. You might want to check out some of them, they will help you in your quest. The kind folks at The Model Railroad Shop in Dunellen can help you out. "The Jersey Central - A brief look before Conrail" by Bob Pennisi is a great start (and wont break the bank).

-otto-