Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Communipaw terminal question

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#641315  by CNJ

philipmartin wrote:Trains to Broad Street would have had to come down via CY tower and E'Port because the bridge from Jersey City to Newark across Newark Bay, or the Hackensack River was gone. I no longer remember what took it out, but the CNJ didn't replace it. Our Hudson Bergen Light Rail has a spur off the line to Bayonne, using the old CNJ route to the bridge.
The PC strike lasted one day.

It was the result of a ship hitting the bridge span in 1946.
 #641426  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote: Also CNJ specialty diesels, like double ended baby face Baldwins, and centipedes.
I take it back about CNJ "centipedes." They probably didn't have them, but the Pennsy did.
The CNJ bridge over the Pennsy main just west of Penn Station, Newark, is still there, although the rest of the right of way is gone. I guess the Broad Street Terminal is Prudential Center now.
 #641429  by philipmartin

It was the result of a ship hitting the bridge span in 1946.[/quote]

Thanks for refreshing my memory.
An aircraft carrier hit the Upper Bay bridge on the Greenville Branch some years ago, but did no damage. It was being towed up to Kearny for breaking up, when it got away from five Moran tugs. The operator,whom I know, and the others in the tower made a fast exit when they saw the carrier coming at them.
 #642551  by Lman

As I remember...

Regarding service to E.33rd Street Bayonne after Aldene and before Conrail...

Track 4 was used exclusively for CNJ 'scoots' between w.8th and E.33rd and the track was actually signalled for operation in either direction, controlled by operator at BV tower. In case of signal malfunction, scoots did run on either of 2 remaining mainline tracks to E.33rd with train orders. Track 4 did continue eastward to HY Tower but just east of E.33rd Street station, 2 rails were removed to thus make track 4 a deadend in either direction. Track 4 westward from HY was used then as a yard track to back out coal trains from Jersey City to Weehawken while awaiting clearance to go to Weehawken on the NYC line from Phillips Street.

Track 1 and 2 did remain in full service between BV tower and HY Tower in Jersey City and were fully signalled - not dark. CNJ freight trains used these tracks until at least 1972 to access Jersey City CNJ yard. After 1972...need someone else to update.

B&O passenger service ended as stated before in 1957-1958 to Jersey City. Freight service remained as a joint B&O (eastside yards-Phila) - RDG to Bound Brook and CNJ to Jersey City. The B&O's new GP-30 diesels were purchased for high-speed piggyback service from Jersey City to points west. It was not unusual to see up to 4 GP-30's operating on a Trailer Jet each evening. There were at least 2 piggyback trains and 1 freight daily, #685, plus coal extras to Cranford, NJ (to Staten Island). Each evening #99 was called as an extra to 'clean out' mixed freight from SIRT at Cranford.

Lman
 #1429806  by bmvguye39

Doubt it would ever happen but with all the grief going on with Amtrak and Penn Station, they should consider reopening the CNJ Terminal, lay down new access and station trackage and re-establish ferry service over to Manhattan as it basically sits directly across from the financial district. Would probably be too logical a solution to happen... could also help to alleviate future burden when they are constructing / revamping the Pennsy tunnels into Penn Station as well... Just a thought.
 #1431240  by FredWJensen107

Liberty state Park is one of the most depressing places on earth.
I am 67 years old and spent a great deal of time there in the 50's and 60's and to see it now it is too depressing to take. Jersey's own answer to the ancient coliseum.