Railroad Forums 

• CNJ camelbacks

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1318576  by GSC

Great video. I've seen this before, never get tired of it.

Minor inaccuracies, like calling Atlantic Highlands Bay Head, but we can forgive that. Great footage of 774's fantrip.

Imagine the insurance nightmare today of all those people climbing on everything at Bay Head.

All those steamers on the dead line at JC, when 774 was the last steam running for that fantrip.
 #1351767  by DianaOfBurlington

This is wonderful history being archived. Is that the Comet at 4.30?

'Canned' music is a cute little number as well.
 #1351948  by BigDell

First time I saw this... wow. Thank you for posting. LOVE this. I need to go out and buy those old CNJ DVD's for sale....
 #1399761  by CharlieL

Lived along the NY&LB RR. Remember the Central diesels, in fact father took me to see one in Belmar (1948?) when CRRNJ had an "open house" to show one off. Remember the Pennsy K4s's, but never remember seeing a camelback. Though the video shows one at Bay Head. Looks like Bay Head to me.

Anybody know if they normally hauled the commuter runs on the NYLB?
 #1399769  by snavely

Camelbacks had only one crew member in the cab, the engineer, thus violating the union's claim that diesels needed the fireman's presence for safety, to take over in the event of the engineer becoming incapacitated.

From Wikipedia:

The camelback was not a very safe design for its crew. The engineer was perched above the whirling siderods, vulnerable to swinging and flying metal if anything below should break. The fireman, meanwhile, was alone and exposed to the elements at the rear.
 #1399953  by ExCon90

CharlieL wrote:Anybody know if they normally hauled the commuter runs on the NYLB?
I remember seeing one at Atlantic Highlands sometime in the middle 40's, presumably used for hauling locals to Bay Head, so they got that far.
 #1399959  by CarterB

Photo of mother hubbard at point pleasant (CNJ 155 at Point Pleasant)

http://www.metrari.rrpicturearchives.ne ... x?id=14857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other CNJ or NY&LB camelback photos

https://sites.google.com/site/camelback ... comotives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1401075  by GSC

Before diesels, CNJ used Camelbacks for regular commuter service, along with the 800-series Pacifics for heavier trains.
 #1424028  by steemtrayn

DianaOfBurlington wrote:This is wonderful history being archived. Is that the Comet at 4.30?

'Canned' music is a cute little number as well.
B&O Pacific, actually.