Railroad Forums 

• CNJ access to PRR Linden Yard?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#62424  by timz

The old maps show a track branching off the CNJ Elizabethport-Perth Amboy line immediately north of the Rahway River bridge. It passes beneath the Turnpike and continues NWward just south of Linden Airport, over to the SW end of PRR Linden Yard.

Does this connection still exist? I would've thought it would be useful to Conrail, but a while back somebody said there is no "back way" into GM Linden, which I took to mean the PRR main is the only access.

Did the track maybe get buried when they widened the Turnpike, before Conrail existed?

#62429  by wis bang

That's the bridge between Merck & GM across Rts 1 & 9. used to serve Solvents Recovery AKA Safety Klean off Sylvan St, just south of Linden airport. I think it served Lower Road too.

#62465  by BigDell

Thats very interesting. I never did follow any of the tracks that branch off the chemical coast line. I'm guessing you can still get a train from the Chem Coast line to Linden yard then?
BigDell
 #62473  by railroadcarmover

Yes, this line is still active. It was used as a back route to bring in empty auto racks. The cars would be shoved in from the cnj side all the way up past the route 1 bridge. BTW, Safety Clean has a Trackmobile on their property.

#62516  by BigDell

Safety Clean has a Trackmobile on their property.
Oh yes, of course! This is the track that crosses 1 & 9 at Linden Airport... Now I understand how it connects. I saw, next to the airport entrance, a Trackmobile (yellow of course) and some cars about. On the other side is Kmart and Walmart, yes? I often see a bunch of extra car auto racks parked there. Never got to see them moved, but I know its active.
Thanks!
BigDell

#62527  by wis bang

I used to work at the DuPont Plant [Grasselli] on Trembly Point, managed the terminal for their motor carrier in 1990 & 1991. Some of the plant personnel lived in the houses off Wood Avenue & Lower road just west of the turnpike & I remember looking up the placard numbers on the tankcars for Safety Klean that were left in their neighborhood. They were attemping some kind of NIMBY action that never got too far. Go Figure, DuPont was the last operator of a site that has been on chemical production since the 1860's & their houses were just south of Tosco's Bayway refinery tank farm & north of the tanks on Lower road...they really did not need to worry about tankcars w/ mineral spirits [naphtha] waiting to be re-distilled @ Safety Klean...