Railroad Forums 

• CNJ 1958 Newark Bay Bridge disaster

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#126249  by atlpete

Anyone have a good link regarding this tragedy? I have read about it in Bill Brennan's book but would be interested in any site that has the specific details regarding the event, its cause, victims, salvage effort etc. Also the resulting state legislation regarding the cab signal control etc.
Any info appreciated. Thanks Pete

#126633  by CarterB

From a previous post by Jon Wiz:

" 1958 Newark Bay Drawbridge disaster. You can only get the film on this on DVD ONLY! The name of the DVD is AMERICA'S RAILROADS - The Steam Train Legacy. The 58' scene appears in the BONUS FEATURE:TRAIN ACCIDENTS, WRECKS AND DERAILMENTS. There is a VHS version, but it is NOT on the tape. You can find the DVD at Best Buys stores for about 10 bucks. "

#126857  by Ken W2KB

I was 9 years old at the time and lived 3 blocks away. I walked over to the site, got to the shoreline about 20 minutes or so after it happened.

Recall the scene well, sort of.

No cause was ever determined. Lots of speculation and alternate theories but the head end crew died in the wreck so no opportunity to interview them.

#127171  by jmp883

Just out of curiosity, for those of us who don't know, what specifically happened?

#127357  by Ken W2KB

An eastbound passenger train passed a stop signal, went thru a derail, bounced on the ties, and the two locomotives and first 2 (eventually 3) of the 5 car train went thru the open draw into Newark Bay. Approximately 40 were killed.

#127512  by jmp883

Thanks Ken,

That's kind of what I figured had happened. Appreciate the info.
 #132401  by eddiebear

Find a copy of Robert Shaw's DOWN BRAKES which has an account of the wreck. Also, I think about Feb. 1960, TRAINS had an article entitled DRAWBRIDGE DILEMMA.

#133267  by CNJ

If you are in New Jersey and have access to a library....try any of the microfilm reports of the Newark Evening News, Newark Star Ledger or Elizabeth Daily Journal for that time period....
 #136769  by gpicyk

There is a book titled "The CNJ Bay Draw Wreck Mystery" by Don Dorflinger that was published by Tri-State Railway Historical Society. www.TRI-STATE-RAIL-HISTORY.org It sold for $9.95. It covers the wreck and speculation as to the cause. George Picyk

#202472  by CNJGeep

My math teacher's dad died in that wreck. So, therefore, if I do not find a cure for cancer, I will devote my life to finding the cause of this wreck

p.s. I doubt very highly that I will find a cure for Cancer

#202543  by JimBoylan

Some of the passengers on this train had survived the steam train wreck in 1950 on the Perth Ambouy and Woodbridge branch at the temporary track around the N.J. Turnpike construction. They were riding a PRR train that day because of a work stoppage on the CNJ.

#204439  by atlpete

I seem to recall reading that author Kurt Vonnegut's sister was amoung the victims as well. Thanks to all who posted.

#258582  by dafiremanpat

hey all, this is kind of late,

but a friend of mines great uncle is snuffy stirnweiss, thought id just share the info

it was a tragedy what happened, RIP all who passed on
 #330030  by amtrakhogger

They blamed the engineer for running the stop signal as the
cause for the accident.

I have heard in my travels that maybe the cause was that
the Bridge Operator opened the bridge for a ship after he
had cleared the train across (unconfirmed.)

Comments?