Railroad Forums 

• CNJ 1605 with a NYSW GP18

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#882730  by scottychaos

Where - CNJ Elizabethport shops.
When - hard to say..probably late 60's..(if someone knew when CNJ 1605 was taken OOS, that would narrow it down)
Why - probably the NYSW unit being worked on at the shops for some reason..

Scot
 #883051  by badorder

The unit could have come down from the NYSW via the W&N to E'port for wheel work,the NYSW didn't have a wheel lathe at Little Ferry and maybe had the CNJ do it for a price.
 #883713  by Scaro

thanks. i've not been able to dig up a map of their east end connections in the pre-DO era - but i assume there wasn't one with CNJ if they would have delivered the unit via the W&N. apart from the baldwins and pairs of F7s, did anything else work the W&N job?

regards, ben
 #886711  by 56-57

Just to chime in, some of those big foots lasted longer than 72.. One or two were sold to the Santa Fe for trade-in credits, and one was sold to the Utah Railway and ran through at least 1980..

-Micah
 #887607  by Scaro

thanks. CNJ actually kept a lot of RS3s around till late and even got some secondhand leased units in either the late 60s or 70s, so i imagine if they had a use for the RSD4s they probably would have retained them. possibly once CNJ pulled out of PA there was no work for them.

ben