Railroad Forums 

• CNJ 1198 and 1204

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#315966  by eehiv

The Catskill Mountain RR purchased two heavyweight passenger coaches in the 1980s, former CNJ 1198 and 1204. Here are two current photos of 1198:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 425294.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 717488.jpg

1204 is parked just west of 1198 and is in similar condition.

The cars are being moved this weekend off of damaged track, and this winter or next spring will be moved five miles up the line to West Hurley where they will await restoration, along with former EL MU Coach 4322. We plan to do stabiliation repairs once they are moved to West Hurley.

Does anyone know the history of these cars, where and when they were made, and where they were used while in service? If there are others of their class still in use, have any of these have been restored to their original condition?

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer, Catskill Mountain RR

#316501  by Ken W2KB

They date back to the 1920's and would have been used over the entire CNJ system over the years.

There are a number of these cars scattered at tourist lines throughout the US. I flew the Cardinal to New Mexico this past August and saw a couple of these exCNJ cars in service in Santa Fe on the train that arrived from Lamy, NM.

The interiors had the orginial inlayed wood interior and plush green velour seats.
 #318704  by eehiv

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if there are any coaches of this class with the inlaid wood interior exposed? We are curious what is under all the paint.

EH

#318961  by mackdave

Doesn't Steamtown have a CNJ coach in restored (exposed wood) condition?
I remember riding in one behind the 0-6-0 during a trip there about ten years ago.

#319193  by metman499

I am fairly certain CNJ combine 303 is down to the wood but I haven't ridden one of their trips in 4 years (although I always try and sit in the CNJ car). Steamtown got rid of two CNJ coaches in the last year to the CNJ 113 project but neither of those were restored.