Railroad Forums 

• CN "Run Through" Trains and Engines

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#79012  by I Like BNSF

Does CN run trains and engines through between the US and places in Canada like Montreal and Halifax? It would be cool to see our IC units (or BNSF or UP) all the way up in Northern Canada on their way to Halifax!
 #79049  by NS VIA FAN

Yes we occasionally see IC units here in Halifax. Also BNSF and a couple of weeks ago, a UP unit.

And by the way, Halifax is not “way up in Northern Canada” It’s at the approximate same latitude as Salem, Oregon or Green Bay, WI. Amtrak’s Empire Builder reaches points on BNSF farther north than a train would using CN’s line between Montreal and Halifax.
 #79131  by AmtrakFan

I Like BNSF wrote:Does CN run trains and engines through between the US and places in Canada like Montreal and Halifax? It would be cool to see our IC units (or BNSF or UP) all the way up in Northern Canada on their way to Halifax!
Well in BNSF in IL we get occasional UP Power as well as CN. But IC is few and far. For a while we had more WC units then IC in their life time.

John

#90960  by nickleinonen

at mac yard in toronto, we get a little bit of everything... CN units [or course] and IC and WC units all the time [2 WC's in the diesel shop right now] and we get BN/BNSF/SF, NS, CSX, DWP, UP, Conrail and some others rolling through our service track... i've seen some odd ones too, like ohio central, algoma central, the occasional CP unit... then there ontario northland that comes through sometimes, some short line that runs a consist of 4 units all different colored [blue, green, red, purple, yellow...]

#91008  by AmtrakFan

On Friday saw a pure CN lash up with a SD40-2 leading a Draper Taper on the BNSF.

John