Railroad Forums 

• CN Kingston sub timetable

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#925066  by timberley

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is anywhere online where a timetable of CN trains on the Kingston sub has been compiled? I have no trouble keeping track of VIA Rail train numbers, schedules, etc., but I have a tough time figuring out CN train numbers of any remote semblance of the timetable.

Is this the sort of info contained in the Canadian Trackside Guide?
 #925417  by Ken V

The Trackside Guide used to contain a list of train numbers on both CN and CP including a general description of the freight carried, origination and destination points, and frequency of service. This was discontinued with the 2011 edition citing too frequent changes as the reason. This list, however, didn't include any scheduled times since this varied even more often than the change in numbers.
 #925471  by timberley

Ken V wrote:The Trackside Guide used to contain a list of train numbers on both CN and CP including a general description of the freight carried, origination and destination points, and frequency of service. This was discontinued with the 2011 edition citing too frequent changes as the reason. This list, however, didn't include any scheduled times since this varied even more often than the change in numbers.
Thanks Ken. So I wonder then, how do those of you out there who keep track of freight movements do it? Do you just rely on scanners, or talking to others? I've just wondered about it, because someone will throw up a photo of a CN freight and say (for example), "here was CN Q265(etc), running X hours late", and stuff like that. I do know CN's naming practice (what the letters and numbers in the train name mean), but I have trouble figuring out what train is what.
 #954603  by gp9rm4108

I can give you a run down of what happens between Belleville and Dorval

Regular every day trains

Intermodals:

106, 120, 148
107, 121, 149

Freight:

305, 309, 369, 371, 373, 377
308, 310, 368, 372, 376

326 (From the south into Coteau and on to Tasch yard)
327 (Tash yard to Coteau and then south)

785/786 Maitland Ultramar turn out of Montreal. This I believe is every other day.

Switchers:

F51 - CP Smiths Falls to Brockville turn. Usually into Brockville late evening and closer to midnight. Sun-Thurs and sometimes Friday from what I remember ... could be different now.
532 - Brockville switcher - Works between Brock and Morrisburg - Days- Sat/Sun off

591 - Coteau - Cornwall/Iroqouis - Days - Fri/Sat off
538 - Coteau and surrounding area day job - Wed/Thurs off
536 - Coteau and surrounding area night job - Sun\Mon off
584 - Coteau turn in from Ottawa - Usually into Coteau in late evening - Doesn't run of Friday I think.

518 - Belleville to Kingston turn - day job. Sometimes goes west of Belleville - Fri Sat off
519 - Belleville night job that sometimes goes east of Belleveville to Bath or Queens - Fri Sat off

There are usually extras.

Common numbers for extra trains are X308, X371, Q192, 874 (loaded grain when ran), 875 (empty grain when ran).

It's common for 400 series OCS trains to make apprearances.

You said you have access to all the VIA's but I will add the weekday schedule in.

Toronto to Montreal

VIA 52, 56, 60, 64, 66, 68

Toronto to Ottawa

VIA 44, 46, 48

Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal

VIA 50, 54

Montreal to Ottawa

VIA 39, 635

Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto

VIA 51, 55, 59

Montreal to Toronto

VIA 53, 57, 61, 65, 67, 69