Railroad Forums 

• CN GEVO's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#527168  by CN9634

So I was looking at the pictures of the CN GEVO's when I saw one of the newer units and noticed some differences on them. It looks like from the 2290 and up the Tear Drop Windows have gone back to the GE style cab and the DPU lights have been reduced to one mounted on top of the right ditchlight. You can see the notices in these two shots here,

Old:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1036731

New:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1066151

I wonder why such changes were made and if there are any other differences

#527804  by lock4244

I believe it was GE that wanted to drop the teardrop windsheild. IIRC, CN was the only North American road ordering units with the teardrop from GE. This goes back to CN wanting to standardize parts inventory in the fleet, what with the 26 SD70I's and 175 SD75I's they bought equipped with the teardrop, they wanted the GE's to have the same part for economy. I guess that has ended.

But, since the latest ES44DC's and all the SD70M-2's now share a common windsheild, it's back to the same thing, isn't it.

#531645  by nickleinonen

lock4244 wrote: what with the 26 SD70I's and 175 SD75I's they bought equipped with the teardrop, they wanted the GE's to have the same part for economy. I guess that has ended..
the glass was different between the emd and ge loco's with the teardrop... close but not a match

#533520  by lock4244

Figures the glass doesn't match. The "droop" must be to improve visibility of the hogger to see a crewmember riding on the front steps. IIRC, that was what EMD said when they introduced it on the SD60M... a feature that had been on CN's wide nosed locomotives since introduced on the M420W's.

Though one could argue the EMD DD40X had the droop first, since they were built in 1969 and the M420's arrived on CN in 1973.