Railroad Forums 

• CN C-44 2699 Catastrophic Uncontained Engine Failure

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#898559  by Gilbert B Norman

I performed a site search using this topic title as keywords with negative results. I am surprised this incident, Catastrophic Uncontained Engine Failure occurring at Independence, LA and widely circulated at other message boards, has not been discussed here. I learned of such from a private source:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/4229

This was bad day enough for the affected homeowner; it could been a worse 'bad day" had there been personal injury.

There appears to be conjecture regarding when this incident occurred; as it was absent personal injury, not sure if it rose to the level of an NTSB investigation.