Railroad Forums 

• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1328667  by bluedash2

Meghan- I'm sure the poster may know but can't tell any more than they did. But that is the typical done in secrecy operation mentality down there. I'm actually very surprised there is even any freight traffic out of there aside from car storage.
 #1329045  by dlagrua

I think that we need to stop talking about Tony Macrie and start talking about solutions to get the Cape May Line running again. The CMSL doesn't have the resources to restore the line and should give up the lease to an organization willing to rebuild it and start running trains again. We should certainly thank Tony for keeping the line from abandonment and being torn up but since no positive things have happened in years, it is apparent that the line must look for a new operator who can and will do something. The choice is to do nothing and allow the line to rot away to abandonment or to try and do something. Maybe there are or aren't any takers but at least make an effort to do something. No one seems to know what the thinking of the CMSL is. All we know is that nothing is happening anytime soon.
 #1329183  by NJT4272

northjerseybuff wrote:How come insurance didn't take care of the stolen material the thieves took a few years ago? Or is he just using that as an excuse on not to run? First it was the swing bridge..now the theft. I vote for URHS to take over and make the operation work into CM.
 #1329275  by David

Hello--How many times have we gone over the possibilities for Tony to do with his rail line? If he chooses to do what he wants to do with it, so be it. Repeating the same old questions and "solutions" for him are really tiresome. Perhaps he is just going to use the line for storage, and maybe he is making enough money doing that and only wants to run his Santa Trains. He does not have to do anything if he chooses and we have nothing more to say about these wishes. Believe me there are under currents that are taking place and when he is ready to tell us about them, then we will know more. In the meantime, no more ideas that have been repeated numerous times. I will shut this thread down if I see more of the same thing. Please let the CMSL alone unless you have something positive to say. Thank you.
 #1329373  by Greg

Trainlawyer wrote: Greg,
I notice that you very carefully reversed the who-said-what in the above.
Orrrrrrrr, I just forgot to remove Meghan's name. Not everything is black helicopters.
You really weren't helping Tony or doing anything to encourage the restoration of any kind of service to Cape May.
Who said I should be helping him do anything?
 #1329393  by rrbluesman

I was just down through Tuckahoe Junction this past weekend, I didn't stop at the station, but I thought I saw covered hoppers on the CM Branch. Are these the loaded hoppers someone mentioned before or is the CMSL storing them as empties?

-Ed
 #1329812  by scottso699

rrbluesman wrote:When were these dinner train tickets available? I dont see it on their website and I cant recall it on FB.

-Ed
Hi Ed,

I was referring to New Hope and Ivyland's dinner train - it was in there somewhere but must have gotten lost in the quoting process. I was just saying that basically that some of these trains, grand as they may be, are getting to pricey for the average person to enjoy them. NH&IL RR is basically up to $20 a person for a one hour trip. That's dropping $80 if my family goes - and for 1 hour. But this isn't the place to complain about fares. oh well - Back to our regularly scheduled program!
 #1329931  by rrbluesman

I have not been on a CMSL train in eight years (if not longer) on a Richland-Tuckahoe run, I don't remember how much it cost. There is no info on the CMSL website about the fare structure, what was it the last they ran? I agree that, on the whole, fare for excursion trains has been increasing on the whole and it has an impact on ridership.

-Ed
 #1330135  by CJPat

That's dropping $80 if my family goes - and for 1 hour.
Scottso, Maybe you should take a different perspective. Instead of the whole group going, consider it $20 to be left alone for an hour. Now how much is that worth to ya!

Ha :P
JK...Coming from a father of 4 kids and my wife.
 #1330153  by scottso699

CJPat wrote:
That's dropping $80 if my family goes - and for 1 hour.
Scottso, Maybe you should take a different perspective. Instead of the whole group going, consider it $20 to be left alone for an hour. Now how much is that worth to ya!

Ha :P
JK...Coming from a father of 4 kids and my wife.
No I know what you mean... but if I'm going to pay $20 for a train ride I'd like it to be more than an hour. I think Steamtown does basically all day excursions for $32. That's pretty good. But then again they don't have any operating steam engines! It's all academic anyway... I'm moving to NC in June and will start frequenting all new Railroad museums and excursions that I'm sure I will be more than willing to drop some money on. It's just depressing that I never got a chance to ride the train from Tuckahoe to Cape May. :(
 #1332076  by scottso699

Meghan wrote:I'm going to make a little diversion here. This isn't to stir the pot but is a question based on experience. (And yes, I'll talk about the sand at some point later.)

PS. Scott,
There hasn't been a regularly scheduled train between Tuckahoe and Cape May City since shortly after I was born. It is a little depressing.

:(
I know what you mean... I was 3 when they stopped service. Damn cars and trucks! We don't need hybrids we need passenger cars!