Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1580943  by R&DB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:03 pm Probably doesn't belong on this topic but since it's about the Clayton tracks, do we think the recent C&D grant could speed things up with the fabled sand trains?

Opening the line from Lakewood to Lakehurst is one of the items in the grant. Since it does not inclde the TRIT, I assume the target customer is Clayton. They probably also want the longer run-around North of Rte.70 (2500 ft.). The short run-around at Cross St. (800 ft) was built when the average train was 5-6 cars. Rember the Southern Secondary ends at Union Ave. and Clayton begins there.
 #1581008  by Bracdude181

The ROW is being completely cleared of all vegetation within 15 of the track centerline, starting from Clayton going north. About one mile has been cleared so far.

A front loader with a brush cutter was parked at the second to last railroad crossing on the line.

Pictures will be uploaded once I get home.
 #1581794  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey I guess that’s possible but I’m not sure. Who really knows at this point.

I will say that some things need to be sorted out before either railroad exchanges with Conrail North Jersey. Oak Island is kinda imploding right now and the transfer to Browns has been all over the place in regards to when it actually shows up. Both railroads will need an efficient transfer.
 #1583634  by Bracdude181

We aren’t going to see it right away. Lakehurst to Lakewood is in bad shape and needs extensive repairs.

Crossings need work, countless ties need replacement, a washout has to be fixed, the bridge under Route 70 in Lakehurst was never fixed properly and needs repairs, etc.

Haven’t heard if they want the TRIT. Hopefully not. Would rather see Seashore Lines run it.
 #1583717  by CR7876

If traffic warrants going to Lakehurst, whoever the common carrier is will go to Lakehurst. Currently, and for the last 11 years, NJCL doesn't require interline service. Before the comments go flying all over the place, there is NO public statement saying other wise.

Regarding the bridge at Lakehurst. Conrail received a NJ Freight Grant in the 2011-2013 to re-deck the bridge, this was after the line was taken out of service from MP 61.1 to 66. What is wrong with the bridge?
 #1583723  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 They re-decked it but didn’t fix the pilings underneath which are still damaged from when SA91 parked NS 5311 on the bridge back in 2009. That crew got fired for doing that. Also doesn’t help that CSX 4423 was parked on it like 6 months later lol.

It should also be noted that the condition of the three bridges at the time was the main reason why Conrail cut the line off in November 2010. They didn’t want to pay for the bridges. Stupidly they did this after NJSL had already gotten STB approval to run the Clayton line and had already been clearing the tracks.

The other two bridges were completely replaced by an outside company who specializes in rail bridges. New deck and WAY thicker pilings and supporting structure underneath, with repairs to the retaining walls as well. The only thing that wasn’t replaced was the rails I believe. Everything else was brand new parts.
 #1583725  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:13 pm @CR7876 They re-decked it but didn’t fix the pilings underneath which are still damaged from when SA91 parked NS 5311 on the bridge back in 2009. That crew got fired for doing that. Also doesn’t help that CSX 4423 was parked on it like 6 months later lol.

It should also be noted that the condition of the three bridges at the time was the main reason why Conrail cut the line off in November 2010. They didn’t want to pay for the bridges. Stupidly they did this after NJSL had already gotten STB approval to run the Clayton line and had already been clearing the tracks.

The other two bridges were completely replaced by an outside company who specializes in rail bridges. New deck and WAY thicker pilings and supporting structure underneath, with repairs to the retaining walls as well. The only thing that wasn’t replaced was the rails I believe. Everything else was brand new parts.
The crew did not get fired. I don't who told you that, or how you came to that conclusion, but that is false. Regarding the bridge at MP 65.8, leave the condition of the bridge to qualified B&B inspectors.