• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

• 350 posts
  by R&DB

IIRC back in the '80s - 90s the sand trains from Claytons Woodmansie plant went to projects in Northern NJ. Not too distant.
  by JohnFromJersey

Do we think that CMSL will try interchanging with D&D (and then interchange with Conrail), or do we think that CMSL's contract will be dropped and D&D will pick it up?
+
  by CharlieL

My personal opinion (which is pretty much worthless speculation since I have no knowledge) is if the sand trains run they will be handled by D&D, either by a buyout of CMSL's rights, or by Clayton dropping CMSL and hiring D&D. One less transfer of traffic to contend with.
  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 pm My personal opinion (which is pretty much worthless speculation since I have no knowledge) is if the sand trains run they will be handled by D&D, either by a buyout of CMSL's rights, or by Clayton dropping CMSL and hiring D&D. One less transfer of traffic to contend with.
Part of me feels like that, in true Jersey fashion, CMSL and Clayton will continue with their contract. Afterall, hasn't Clayton owned these tracks since the 80's, been paying 13k a year in property tax on them since, and had CMSL contracted to be the operator of them for nearly two decades without anything happening? If what I said is correct, I do expect them to continue with the D&D interchange.

Perhaps one can assume that D&D and CMSL might come into a deal where they can operate on each other's track, or something. Maybe CMSL could pay D&D to use their tracks to move these speculated sand trains. Lets not forget that now that Conrail is not going to be operator of the Southern anymore, the deal they had with 84 Lumber could become null, meaning Lumber 84 might start getting cars again. The TRIT begins right in Lakehurst where CMSL's territory and D&D's future territory meets.