• CM Line

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by CAMB.MASON

What is left of the old CM line from Waltham to Clinton? I would like to walk the line
this spring with my son as I did with my father years ago. I know most of it has
returned back to nature, recently been to Mirror Lake switch, the Fort Devens
ammo switch, with my daughter, but not much is left. Interested in Stations,
sidings and just anything to do with that section of the CM Line.
  by ewh

Bring a machete. It's like walking in the Yucatan.
  by NRGeep

It's weed free walking in most of Weston and Wayland and the tunnel in Clinton is usually passable by Spring. Of course the line is a bike trail from Amherst to Northampton and a dirt trail in other areas West of Clinton.
Last edited by NRGeep on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Red Wing

It's a rail trail from Oakdale to Holden and a small section in Holden/Rutland.
  by CAMB.MASON

what became of the wig wag from the poor farm crossing, is that it over in bolton at the model train club. also has
anyone walked what is left of the hudson and lancaster line, did that years ago found off i think 85 which goes to
bolton a town or state forest section which has a good perserved section of the road bed and beside it a brick
foundation. Never did find out what that was, water tower maybe. Does anyone on this board walk the CM
lline anymore, I will take that up with my son come this spring, doing it in sections starting from the cut off
at Waltham and would like to end at Clinton. Walked the tunnel years ago, went as far as rutland on the
CM over ther years before my son was born. Thanks for the info.
  by CAMB.MASON

I have a question pertaining to the CM line, just a 100 yards or so east of the South Sudbury station and the
diamond crossing of the NH, is a relay box. It has been years since I looked into it but remember some old
style relays inside. It pararells I think it is called Station Road, off Rte 20, it is between the Old Station and
the Hand Car Shed. What did this relay box do? Did it control the signal which was west of the the
Wayland Flag Stop, or did it control some signal or signals for the diamond. The last time I drove by the
box was still there. Thanks for any help.
  by TomNelligan

I'm not specifically familiar with that relay box, but the B&M/NH crossing at South Sudbury was protected by automatic signals through the 1960s and that could be a relic. On the Central Mass, the signaled territory extended about 4/5ths of a mile on each side of the diamond with distant and home signals on each side. There was also automatic signaling on the approach to the junction at Clematis Brook, and the mast of the semaphore distant signal is still in place just west of the trestle that carries the Central Mass over Linden Street in Waltham.
  by CAMB.MASON

thanks for that info, I always wondered about the South Sudbury diamond. And my mistake, it has been a very
long time since I walked the line, the signal is not at wayland but I think either just eaast or west of the
Wayside Flag Stop. It was in place about 15 years ago, it is the only one left in that area, would that have
been one of the signals for the diamond? Also is the Semaphore mast still in place just east of the
clinton tunnel. While I am asking questions, a number of months ago on ebay was a photo of a station
in Berlin Ma, it did not say it was on the B&M(CM) line or the NH line. Did on the CM line did Berlin
have a covered manned station, covered flag stop, or open covered flag stop similar to the end
of days at tower hill.
thanks
  by MrB

I noticed back in January on the Yahoo chat groups that a 2nd edition of a book put out by the B&M Historical Society back in the 70's concerning the Central Mass, line was available. I can not find it at Borders and apparently it is only available on-line thru Farrell consulting not thru the B&MHS. Has anyone else picked up this book and does anyone know if it is available in a store or can it only be ordered on-line?
  by dcm74

MrB wrote:I noticed back in January on the Yahoo chat groups that a 2nd edition of a book put out by the B&M Historical Society back in the 70's concerning the Central Mass, line was available. I can not find it at Borders and apparently it is only available on-line thru Farrell consulting not thru the B&MHS. Has anyone else picked up this book and does anyone know if it is available in a store or can it only be ordered on-line?
The book is also available through the publisher, Marker Press. They can be contacted at: [email protected]. It is $39.95 plus S&H. There is $2 sales tax in MA.
In talking with the publisher, he indicated it is very difficult to get in to the "big box" stores such as Borders with rather narrow niche market books such as this.
Last edited by dcm74 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MrB

I tried the e-mail you listed and it comes back as undeliverable. Do you have a phone number or an actual website that you can suggest. I've contacted the B&MHS inquiring about the book, but have yet to receive a valid response. I've searched the web for a Marker Press website to no avail. I've waited a long time to get a chance to get the first edition to no avail and don't want to miss out on this chance, but it is impossible to find someone who can help me get a copy. I appreciate any help you or anyone else can give.
  by ThinkNarrow

Try http://www.kenconley.com/centralmass.htm or http://www.amazon.com. Amazon doesn't list it directly, but says "available from these sellers". If you click on that, the first listing is a new copy, shrink wrapped, of the second edition from Marker Press! The secret appears to be that in all searches for this book, you should be sure to search for "Central Mass" rather than Central Massachusetts.