Railroad Forums 

• CLOVIS, NEW MEXICO IS HOT!!!

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#242670  by GOLDEN-ARM

Since moving here, I must say, this is the busiest piece of railroad I have personally seen, or worked on. This BNSF (ex-Santa-Fe) mainline from Amarillo, Tx., to Belen, N.M. hosts over one hundred trains a day. The yard office is in the old passenger station, right next door, an old "Harvey House" hotel and restaurant, and next to that, the old station and division offices, now home to a model railroad club, and museum. Train speed through the yard, at the front door of the yard office is 40 mph. 70 mph is the speed, one mile out, in either direction. Tons of trains, with lots of pigs, stacks and unit trains, hardly ever a lull, in the action. I can say the only downside to the whole deal, is all the GE junk, we have to run. EVERY train has a Dash-9, either 40 or 44, as well as ES44DC's. Rare is the EMD, on the point. Still lots of Santa-Fe paint around, as well as tons of foreign stuff. The line from Amarillo, to Clovis is easily followed, and "fanned" from the highway that follows directly alongside it, for the entire run. Catch me in the yard, and you might even snag a ride, if you are dressed to "work", and look the part.......... :wink:

#243420  by Steve F45

dam 100 trains a day? i'de give to see atleast 10 when im out on my day off.

#243978  by GOLDEN-ARM

I know what you mean. I used to think that 15-20 trains were a lot. Imagine seeing 5-7 trains an hour, every hour, pounding across the city of Clovis, at speed. Mostly Dash-9's (SIGHHHHHHH) but occasional hood units to be seen. 3 to 6 units per train, and tons of unit trains, and stacks. A far cry, from my days running the Lehigh Line, or even Houston, with 20 trains being a lot, in a day. Regards :-D