• Clover Leaf Rail Trail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

Is a Clover Leaf Rail-trail Feasable?

Yes
33%
No
67%
  by WNYRailfan

I am interested in opinions on the likelihood of developing the former Clover Leaf into a rail trail.

Much of the ROW is still intact as well as some bridgework is still in usable shape.

There is some of the ROW in Maumee that can be easily adpoted, however I do not know if it is the original Clover Leaf or original Wabash (because the trackage was combined as of the 1964 merger of NKP/Wabash/N&W).

Traveling South of Maumee the ROW is visible for miles. I know in Continental the ROW still is tracked, but I am unsure of how far north it goes.

South of Continental one gentleman told me that there is a old grain silo near the old ROW. Does anyone know where this structure is?

by matt

Hi Neighbor.

I vote "No" for now, although as a daily bike rider of Rails to Trails, I would jump at the opportunity to pedal the former route of the Nickel Plate.

The reason I think this project would be a ways off is because of all the work and dollars that have been put into the Wabash Cannonball Trails http://www.wabashcannonballtrail.org/ to the north. I have ridden the north branch and would recommend it to all bikers who participate here. These trails were purchased from NS around '93 and 11 years later we're still not halfway to completion in terms of surfacing, although many bridges have been refurbished, and portions of the trail in Maumee and Wausean have been paved. The south branch still has tracks from Jerome Road in Maumee westward but I hear parts near Liberty Center can be ridden.

Anyway, if the people who make up Ohio's Rails To Trails program were to aquire the former Nickel Plate, looking at their pace on these two trails give us a pretty good indication that we won't have our bikes on the NKP ROW for many years to come. It should also be noted that the Toledo, Lake Erie, and Western Railroad continues to operate their Bluebird passenger excursions from Waterville to Grand Rapids, making this stretch of the Clover Leaf off limits.

We can hope though.
  by MSchwiebert

I would have to concur that a trail on the Clover Leaf is not feasable. South of Grand Rapids towards Malinta, Holgate etc., the ROW has largely (80+%) has been farmed for 20+ years. In many instances the culverts over the drainage ditches have been removed as well. South of Continental, the bridge over the Little Auglaize River is long gone (the derailment on this bridge back in the 1970's is what spelled doom for the rought) also.