Railroad Forums 

• Climax Manufacturing Corporation

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#37218  by dkgrubb

Hello,
I had the privilege of working on a wonderful old Climax steam locomotive, Moore-Keppell Co. #3, a 1910 90 ton engine. Does any one else have a story to tell about working on a Climax locomotive, or an interesting tale? Thanks!
Keith

#47535  by JDFX

Keith,

Being that my steam interest mostly lie in geared steam, and small mallets (pronounced Mallies) I agree that tales of these beasts would be of interest to the forum members.

Perhaps you would like to share some of your experiances that you had?
 #47737  by Aa3rt

Keith, as I've noted before, I grew up in northwest Pennsylvania, about 15 miles from Corry where Climaxes were constructed, and have always had a special interest in these locomotives. The only Climaxes I've ever seen have all been static displays, I've never seen one in operation.

Anyhow, here are some Climax links to peruse...

The Corry, Pa website, with a neat animated graphic of a Climax in operation:

http://www.corrypa.com/

The mural in downtown Corry, recognizing the history of the Climax:

http://www.corrypa.com/the_region.html

A link to the Corry Historical Museum, where there's a Climax on display:

http://www.tbscc.com/museum/main.htm

Here's Ed Vasser's EXCELLENT Climax website:

http://www.ClimaxLocomotives.com/

From Mr. Vasser's site, a list of surviving Climaxes:

http://www.ClimaxLocomotives.com/surviving.html

Finally, David Thomas' Climax section from GearedSteam.com:

http://www.gearedsteam.com/climax/climax.htm

Updated Feb. 26, 2005 to reflect new link to Mr. Vasser's site.
Last edited by Aa3rt on Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

#83477  by dkgrubb

A few summers ago, I had the privilege of working on the Durbin and Greenbrier Valley Railroad, which owns and operates a 1910 55 ton Climax, #3. She was originally operated by the Moore-Keppel Conpany out of Ellamore, West Virginia, in Randolph County. This engine had a fascinating story to tell, which I may get into later. One intersting story, as I was told, that surrounds this engine is her construction and the consequences. She was built as a 55 ton locomotive, but her frame was not. When the order for the locomotive was placed, the company had a 40 ton locomotive frame already on the factory floor, and the company simply built the locomotive on the frame they had. As a result, when the engine gets up to speed ( 9 miles per hour) she develops a bounce that runs the whole length of the engine, and riding in her feels like riding a horse. This was a factory flaw, that the engine crew often griped about, because it made their job all the more challenging, and made the ride a bit more nerve racking. The track on which she operates is also not the greatest in the world. some of it is original Chesapeake and Ohio track, with little improvement done except putting in some used ties in place of the old rotten ones and tightening up of spikes and bolts. In other places, the track was severely washed out of place, and fills were created by hand and the track drug out of the river and relayed, which makes for very crooked, very rough track. The locomotive, with her geared design, traverses this with ease, and has no trouble pushing and pulling her two or three car train over this track. My job, on operating days. was night hostler, and I stayed up all night with this locomotive and kept her alive for the crew the next morning. They would bring her up next to the engine house, and open the cylinder cocks, and bank the fire. My job, for the mojority of the night, was simply to keep enough fire in her to keep the engine warm and keep the injectors operating. When morning came, first I would shake down the grates and clean out the ashpan. Then I would wash down the boiler jacket and the cab with car wash, a bucket and hose, polish the bell and brass gauges with Brasso and WD-40, depending on how dirty it was, and use windex to clean the headlight lens and all the windows and gauges. Then I would grease all the fitting on the linkage, oil the trucks, grease the gears, check the bearings, fill all the drip lubricators will SAE 30 motor oil, and fill the steam lubricators with 600 weight oil base tallow. I would also fill all the oilcans on the locomotive, make sure all the tools and supplies in the cab were in order, and start building up steam pressure. While that was building, I would sweep out the cab floor. Usually by the time the fireman got their she was nearly ready to lift. He would come down and check everything over, and back the locomotive under the coal loader. Then I would drag out the electric which the loader ran off of, and plug it in and start shoveling. A half an hour later, I had enough coal in the tender to keep her going for the day, and I would wrap up the cord and put it back in the engine house. Then I would guide the fireman as he back ed her up and coupled to the train. I would then couple up the air hoses, and walk back to thrown the switch for the mainline. The train would back through the switch, and then I would throw it again, and the train would proceed to the station. While we made our way over there, I would sweep out the caboose and the open car, and guide the fireman when to stop when we arrived at the right place at the platform. Then I would get everything ready for the passengers. I did this every Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night for the summer. This was a lot of work to do, and a lot of important things to remember, especially making sure there was sufficient water in the boiler, and making sure that I did not forget to lubricate everything. However, it was a very rewarding job, and lots and lots of fun.
More later,
Keith

#167183  by CabooseKid

I have also had a chance to work on the Moore-Keeple #3 last summer when I was on vacation, they thought I was crazy for wanting to work on it. I have also had the chance to go see the climax they have at Cass, they have a lot of work to do on it...