Railroad Forums 

• Clearing and Proviso: How'd those yards get those names????

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#435839  by qboy

Proviso I believe comes from the the surrounding area of western Cook County named Proviso. With Berkley, Northlake, Bellwood, Hillside, Maywood, and other towns all apart of this area. I'm sure there is much more to it. Don't know about BRC Clearing Yard.

#435845  by CSX ENG

Read somewhere that A.B. Stickney (president of various railroads) named Clearing because his idea would be that the BRC would serve as a "clearinghouse" for freight cars......

#441409  by Tadman

I agree with above - the town "Clearing" was named after the railroad yard, not the other way around. It's pretty clear to locals (me at one time) that the industrial area grew outward from the rail yard, meaning the railroad was one of the first things in the area.