Railroad Forums 

• Class One Railroads and PTC

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1540032  by freightguy

Why did union officials push so hard for PTC knowing that the Class Ones were going to take a serious look at crew reductions after this was implemented?
 #1540542  by Engineer Spike

I think it was about knowing that this was because the government was already so enamored with it, that the best position would be to get in line with the politicians. That made the railroads look greedy and uncaring, which is their true colors. When an accident happens, the company is very quick to blame it on crew error. Now there is a supposedly infallible device. Train accidents are now supposedly impossible under PTC. I think that this will force the carriers to have to accept responsibility.

At the same time, the unions are introducing crew consist legislation. It seems like the unions are taking shots at the carriers on both fronts. The railroads are fighting back by challenging state crew consist laws, since the FRA says that only a single member is necessary. I saw a video of Battory in a congressional hearing. He seemed like he didn't make too much sense, and was not well prepared. Hopefully union lobbying, and public sentiment will keep a crew of two.