Railroad Forums 

• Clarence Sand & Gravel Co.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1455571  by nydepot

This company had several pits for gravel mining. I'm looking for one that had a railroad connection.

This is back in the mid-1920s.

Thanks,

Charles
 #1455579  by SST

Not sure this will help......There are 3 pits in the Clarence area that are no longer in use.

One pit is the Tillman Nature Preserve. On the north side of Tillman rd. [old Colhocton RR row] and on the south side of Wehrle Dr at Shisler. Not certain if rails actually set upon this area. But across the street....

Another pit is diaganally across the street from Tillman. It is surrounded by Burgtold, Shisler and the West Shore RR. There is a siding from the WSRR leading into this pit. About 300 feet east of Shisler along the entrance to the Clarence town park. I tried to walk it but a local resident scooted me out.

The last one I'm aware of is Spaulding Lake. On Main St [Rt5] across from the Clarence High School. I've never seen the ROW but rumor has it that a steam locomotive is at the bottom of the water filled quary. This place is heavily populated with the well to do.

And of course there is Buffalo Crushed Stone on Wehrle Dr that is still in operation with the WSRR and Cohocton ROWS on the property.

Hope this helps.
 #1455589  by nydepot

My guess is it's the one with the siding in this map from 1938. land records I've found don't indicate ownership back then.
Clarence Sand.png
 #1599337  by AshEd

Hi! I know this is an old post so I apologize for jumping in now but my family grew up on the old gravel pit on Shisler and I'm trying to put together a little book for my kids to have on the history of the railroad and pit and how my grandfather purchased it. Hoping to get any info and pics you may have to help tell its story! Thanks so much!