Railroad Forums 

• Claims jobs

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1432801  by bullet126

I am interested in claims investigation jobs. I have 10 years prior investigation (law enforcement: criminal, civil, and traffic crash reconstruction) experience but no insurance claims experience. Would I have a shot at getting hired? What is a typical day for a railroad claims investigator? Is it Monday through Friday type job? Is there much travel involved? How's the salary? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
 #1432860  by freightguy

That's kind of a broad description and no mention of the type of claims? Is this for a freight or passenger carrier? Could be damage claims or claims by union employees for payment I guess?
 #1432887  by bullet126

Im new to the field and didn't realize there was a difference. I guess i am interested in damage claims investigation working for a freight railroad.
 #1432923  by Gadfly

bullet126 wrote:I am interested in claims investigation jobs. I have 10 years prior investigation (law enforcement: criminal, civil, and traffic crash reconstruction) experience but no insurance claims experience. Would I have a shot at getting hired? What is a typical day for a railroad claims investigator? Is it Monday through Friday type job? Is there much travel involved? How's the salary? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
If it is handled like it was on Southern/Norfolk Southern in years past, you'd have to hire on as a clerk. It was a union shop, of course, and as a clerk you'd come in at the BOTTOM of the seniority list. This means that you would work YEARS before even being able to bid for such a job. That's cuz there's plenty of others ahead of you with more seniority a-waitin' for one of those claim jobs. However, much of this has changed. NS has a very centralized clerical system where much of the claims are now handled in Atlanta. A true "claim agent" (injury. major catastrophe. etc) is a management job. Ya might get one, but it just depends on the company. The excepted claim agents I knew were promoted from within from the clerks' ranks who already had experience with freight claims.

I worked claims some, but it was off the Extra Board. Never had enough "whiskers" to be able to hold such a billet! :-) Gud luck!

GF