Railroad Forums 

• Circus Train the Bay Ridge?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1159393  by DogBert

I figured I should ask on here about this one:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 3&t=136360

The circus is playing Barclay's in downtown brooklyn this year (instead of MSG). The train used to go to LIC every year, though the prevailing logic of the moment is that they'll be unloading at Bay Ridge, since that's the closest yard and one with actual space and facilities they can use.

So... has anyone heard about this or know anything more?

At the very least it seems they'd need to use a NY&A pilot to move it down there, since there are probably few LIRR guys who've run on that line in years.

After Brooklyn the show goes to Ohio. My guess is they don't have a day to lose carfloating to NJ (it'd be more cars floated in a day than has been done in a long time), and will come back up to fremont for a csx extra to selkirk & west. I don't think this has ever been done before either - they usually head back through penn. station into NJ.
 #1159498  by jayrmli

It is my understanding that half the train will go to LIC, and half the train will lay up on the Jersey side. I am not aware of any movements to Bay Ridge or using NYAR for the circus train this year.
 #1159578  by Ocala Mike

Saw a Youtube video of the Circus Train movement over the GCS today, said movement being handled by 5 sick-looking LIRR MP 15's. Wouldn't it behoove the LIRR to borrow power from NY&A or elsewhere for this move or even to let NY&A handle the move altogether? Is it really that lucrative a job for them? Just asking.
 #1159842  by Backshophoss

Due to a "backroom" deal(by Gov Pataki) for a bunch of NIMBY's,the Garden Secondary is off limits to NY+A for freight service :(
If routed to Bay Ridge,NY+A pilot crews will be needed from Jay to Bay Ridge(NY+A uses GCOR instead of NORAC for it's
operating rules) If the circus train lays up at Bay Ridge,figure on NY+A handing off to CSX at Fremont for the ohio move
 #1159885  by freightguy

Due to a "backroom" deal(by Gov Pataki) for a bunch of NIMBY's,the Garden Secondary is off limits to NY+A for freight service
If routed to Bay Ridge,NY+A pilot crews will be needed from Jay to Bay Ridge(NY+A uses GCOR instead of NORAC for it's
operating rules) If the circus train lays up at Bay Ridge,figure on NY+A handing off to CSX at Fremont for the ohio move

Not much left in the way of freight anyway. The ash left from the incinerator and Servoli foods packed it in by the mid nineties. Although on a positive note Servoli Foods is set to begin to transload cars elsewhere on the island.
 #1160045  by DogBert

Sounds like this was just crazy rumor then - that's definitely a longer hike and will be some convoluted routing when they're on the streets.

I can't imagine them sending any of the cars to NJ and then bringing them back to load, when Blissville is right there and mostly empty at the moment - or they can tuck them in the wash track by HPA again.
 #1160361  by Backshophoss

IN the LIRR Forum,lirr42 stated it was 4.5 miles from Bay Ridge yard to Barclays center on the streets,this is still a
guessing game for now. Thought that Blissville yard was ripped out in the '90's.
 #1160536  by DogBert

It's certainly a lot straighter of a walking route - over to 4th ave and straight north. Easier for NYPD to manage. LIC requires probably closing pulaski bridge for awhile, then some convoluted walk around the shore line, maybe following the marathon route. They can pick up some new clowns as they pass through north williamsburg. If they want to go through south williamsburg, their performers need to be properly dressed least the hasidim get upset. :) There's more money in north brooklyn though, so the PR would maybe draw ticket buyers.

I wonder how the bay ridge compares to other tracks they move the train on? Little bit of liability in there maybe.

Blissville was rebuilt around 2007-2008. It wasn't used until 2012 when gershow cars were stored there, then rounded up and cleared out to make way for LIRR maintenance involved in the harold cleanup. it'll probably see more use one freight starts going to wheelspur again (which is also going back in)
 #1161678  by 4behind2

Several years ago, The Trainmaster for Ringling (tall thin guy with moustache) made inquiries regarding using 65th St. as a layup.

That's all it was: an inquiry.
 #1161865  by jayrmli

>I wonder how the bay ridge compares to other tracks they move the train on? Little bit of liability in there maybe.

Can't be anymore of a liability than Garden Mitchell Secondary!
 #1161910  by Backshophoss

Figure on a lght engine move around the end of the am rush to the Garden Sec.the move west around lunch time,all options west of
Jamaica on routing the train are possible.
In the LIRR forum,there's talk of trucking the livestock to Barclays Center,splitting the train between NJ and somewhere near LIC.