Railroad Forums 

• Circus Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#115682  by nick11a

OCtrainguy wrote:I was wondering if that move was going to happen today.

Yeah, I'm curious too as to when that is all occuring.

#115727  by OCtrainguy

Since I'm not sure exactly when/where the train will move after it leaves NY, I'm probably going to wait for it near northern Elizabeth. That way, I'll be able gauge where it's headed.

#115782  by Diamond_D

someone on the Lehigh Line yahoo group posted they believed it was scheduled to head out from NYC on monday afternoon, just passing this along...

#115842  by Jtgshu

Im not sure if it was all of it, but about 25 to 30 cars of the train were parked right at EWR station on the freight tracks all night tonight. they were occupied and had lights on. It was a sight to see at EWR station!!!

#115848  by OCtrainguy

From what I have recently been informed of, Amtrak will hand the train off mid-morning to Conrail, who will bring the train into Oak Island.

From there, the train will be assembled. Looks like it may be a late afternoon/early evening run west on the Lehigh Line.

I remember from last year that even though CSX got the train in the mid-morning, it didn't pass Roselle Park until about eight o'clock in the evening.

#115859  by AndyB

0720H - still sitting at Newark Airport Station

#115871  by GooStats

So this train belongs to the 135th edition of the circus, and is heading out to Penn State. Three questions, (I'm a semi-newbie).

1. Will it go out the Lehigh Line into PA, or will it go down CSX and cross into PA at West Trenton and then onto the Trenton Cut-Off westward?

2.The 134th Edition of the circus is in DC until April 17, then heading up to Worcester, MA. I assume that train will be heading up thru Bucks County and then Jersey, correct?

3. The 135th edition will be in Trenton on May 18. Where exactly will they be putting that train during that time (Morrisville, further down the River LINE?, or somewhere else?)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

#115936  by gravelyfan

Circus train west through Newark penn Station at 147 pm. Animal and vehicle cars only.

#116066  by Diamond_D

through Flemington Jct. around 5:20 according to our correspondent in the field, kpiersol ;) Apparently it's still a very long consist

#116113  by OCtrainguy

I took the day off to see the circus train. After getting stuck in four different traffic incidents on the Garden State Parkway, I finally got to northern Elizabeth just after 9:30 a.m. As prevousily mentioned, it was almost 2:00 p.m. before Amtrak pulled through Lane Interlocking. A Conrail Shared Asstes crew was waiting to bring the train into Oak Island. The engines used by the Conrail crew were SD45-2s 1704 & 1702. After getting the animal and flatcars, they reassemled the train before the NS crew coupled their engines to the train.

I was in South Plainfield, on the Shared Assets Lehigh Line and the train passed me at 4:44 p.m. It was a sight to see! I was even fortunate to have the MA-1 (Manville) local working in South Plainfield with PRR 8-40B 4807 & CSX GP40-2 4431. I was able to snap a photo (slide film) of the circus train passing the local.

Around five o'clock, a CSX westbound stack train (Q191?) passed by with CSX 8743 & 8736. Got some additional photos of the MA-1 before they headed east on the Lehigh Line. I left after that. Overall, it was a successul day!!
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

#118262  by Diamond_D

the Blue Unit is heading through NJ on the CSX Trenton Line today. It was in Baltimore as of 3:00, scheduled for a fresh crew at 3:05. Haven't heard an update since then.

#118824  by Zeke

I thought I was seeing things at 1:45 am tuesday morning 4/19 when the circus train went east thru Bound Brook on the Lehigh line. The banners were red on the cars is this the red unit ?

#122782  by OCtrainguy

Both trains will be moving tomorrow. The red unit will be going from Philadelphia to Providence, utilizing the Trenton & Lehigh Lines.

The blue unit will be going from Albany to West Virginia. I hope the blue unit will traverse the River Line to Lehigh Line, but am not sure.

#123123  by OCtrainguy

know Mondays are typically slow, but with the RBBB red unit train moving from Philadelphia to Rhode Island, I took the day off and headed up to the Lehigh Line.

I got up there about 8:20 (gotta love that Jersey traffic on the GSP & I-287) just as an eastbound mixed freight was rolling through. I only saw the cars, so I don't know what train it was. The red unit train rolled through just before 9:30 a.m. with CSX 8-40CWs 7314 & 7321 powering train P912. I for one do not object at all seeing the 8-40CWs powering the train. About an hour later, NS 214 rolled through with 4 GP60s. Around eleven o'clock a SRS truck then headed east on the Lehigh Line. I was still hoping that the blue unit would be moved by CSX via the Lehigh Line. (It went west from Albany.) The next train was at 12:50 p.m. and was NS 33K with two D9-40CWs (the leader was a primer unit) and two NJT Comet V coaches toward the end of the train. At 1:15 p.m. CP 166 rolled through with CP 9003 leading two other CP SD40-2s. It then started to rain and I called it a day as some MOW workers were doing some work by the Front Street grade crossing.

I was hopeful that the blue unit would head down the River Line to the Lehigh Line and then down the Trenton Line, but oh well, that's how it goes.