Railroad Forums 

• Circus Train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#5049  by Jtgshu

There were some circus train cars over in Sunnyside yard - I don't know what track they were, I saw them for about 1/4 of sec before my train went into the tunnel, but they were by the LIRR stop for Hunterpoint Ave maybe - i think thats the name of hte stop.

#5686  by NIMBYkiller

The station right at the tunnels, yea, that HP av.
 #11867  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
Circus train alert for New Jersey! Concerning the move later today, moving under CSX, scheduled departure from Newark at 3:00PM Monday, scheduled arrival in Philadelphia at 8:00PM...now keep in mind CSX's on-time performance with this train in the past when planning to go see this...

Good luck to anyone that's going to get this despite the fact that it's supposed to rain...

Take care.
 #14622  by OCtrainguy

On Monday, the circus train will be leaving Philadelphia for Atlantic City. While I was unsuccessful in the train's last movement, I hope for better luck this time around. One question I have would be if a CSX or Conrail Shared Assets crew would be assigned to the train. I don't know if there will be a crew change at Pavonia Yard or not.

#14640  by PVRX

On Monday April 26, 2004 the RBBB Circus train is scheduled to be handed over to the Southern Railroad of New Jersey at Winslow Junction, for movement to Atlantic City. Last year this was a night move, this year looks like a late morning - mid-day move. Only animal and equipment cars are coming this year, the passenger cars are staying in Philadelphia, as the SRNJ is lacking space and has increasing freight and stone business at Pleasantville.

#14715  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
Here's the most up-to-date (tentative) schedule I've received for the Circus Train movement on Monday, April 26th 2004 to Atlantic City:

Train Consist: Only the flat cars and livestock cars will be delivered to SRNJ interchange. Passenger cars will remain in Philadelphia, circus crew will commute to AC as noted by PVRX above...

Timetable:
No later than 12:00 noon: Delivery of circus cars to SRNJ, Winslow. CSAO crew running will likely be CA-31X or quite possibly CA-05 (yes, they are qualified over the entire Beesley's)...crew not expected to utilize a CSXT symbol for this section of the run (unlike last time's northbound section). CA-51 will most likely follow. A meet between CA-51 and the northbound light engines is possible at Williamstown Junction.

SRNJ WJPV crew called for 11:00. Move south will not be a dedicated move over the AC Line, the train will also have regular freight attached. In other words, the regular WJPV with the circus attached. The first block behind the engines will be the regular Pleasantville freight, followed by the circus cars. Stock cars are to be placed on the 2nd street siding at milepost 3.06 on the Pleasantville Runner...the flats will be placed just south of Franklin Blvd, milepost 2.80. Unloading will take place on Tuesday April 27th.

Empty flat cars will be moved to serve customers as needed. They may be moved back to Winslow and stored on the Southern IT if needed. The livestock cars will remain on the 2nd street siding for the duration of the show's presence in Atlantic City.

More detailed information on the northbound leg of the trip will be published here as that time gets closer. This information effective 3:25AM, 4/23/2004.

Take care everyone.

#15234  by railfandad

Any guess when the train will be going through the Haddon Heights area?

I saw 5:30 AM as the departure but then didn't follow the rest of the details.

Thanks.

#15409  by JJMDiMunno

railfandad wrote:Any guess when the train will be going through the Haddon Heights area?

I saw 5:30 AM as the departure but then didn't follow the rest of the details.

Thanks.
I'm going to guess 8AM - 9AM as of now...watch SJRA for details:

http://SJRA.SJRail.com

#15462  by JJMDiMunno

And what a surprise...the "schedule" was inaccurate. No circus train anywhere around, 10:09AM. Still hasn't come through Belmont even...it's not even close.

NS 82T to run before the circus train, comin' through the yard now as of 10:12AM...

Things are going to get VERY interesting this afternoon when CA-11's coming in, CA-51 and circus train fighting to get out, fighting over the railroad behind 82T...and CA-05 thrown somewhere in there blocking up the VINS. Just sit back and watch the chaotic South Jersey festivities unfold...
 #15646  by OCtrainguy

I got down to Winslow around two o'clock. The majority of the afternoon was just cloudy, it did not start raining again until about five o'clock, which is when the circus train approached. I went to get a few photos of the SRNJ motive power and they were starting to move the engines around and place the green caboose. I first saw the circus train at the grade crossing just west of Winslow Jct. and then at the interchange with the SRNJ. There were a bunch of us down there in the rain getting photos of the train. I was glad a "Conrail" engine was leading, and a C30-7 at that. Got some photos of the SRNJ backing up the cars. (Nice combo of motive power by the SRNJ too.) By that time, the rain was steadily coming down, so I called it a day.

Wouldn't have minded getting some photos of the Tuckahoe-bound portion of the train or even the SRNJ on their way to Pleasantville, but that's the way it goes. Just wish they would have been earlier, when it wasn't raining out.

#15647  by nolifeCRchaser

I went to Winslow today to photograph the RBBX circus train and saw an NS coal drag 82T at around 1:15pm with an SD-60 # 6678, a C40-9 # 8771, and a horsehead SD-60M # 6801. I waited for the circus train to come through and I was surprised to see a Conrail Quality C30-7 CSXT # 7136 leading a CSX GP-38-2. According to the NS scanners the circus train was FC9026. Here are some of the digital pics that I took.

I was hoping the weather would have held out a little longer as it was not raining in the afternoon, but at least the train showed up before it got dark. I was going to attempt to chase the train to Pleasantville, but with a lack of daylight, I decided to head back. Aside from the rain, it was a good day.
Last edited by nolifeCRchaser on Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

#15679  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
Well, the crew was called for 0530. They arrived in Jersey at 1345. How far did that have to go? Not that far folks, it was only coming from Philly...but surprise, surprise...the circus was late again.

Anyway, apparently they wyed that power someplace...the geep did not lead long hood forward. CSX C30-7 7136 led...as was the case with those who posted above, I also was impressed. Not a bad lead engine...now if it was sunny, that would have really made my month.

Here's today's photos released as of now...the others need too much work for me to do now. Darn rain drops...

Circus Train P981-26 enters Pavonia from the north end:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Circus_Pavonia.jpg

After the P981 crew got off in Pavonia, CA-51's crew boarded the train (after returning lite to the yard from Barrington)...they then proceeded to head south on the Beesley's after what seemed like eternity. Below is a photo at Magnolia:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Circus_Magnolia.jpg

And then Winslow, as they prepare to back the second half of the train onto the interchange with SRNJ:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Circus_Winslow.jpg

And then, finally, Milmay. This is the last photo I have...I didn't bother going to Tuckahoe. It was too dark even for the digital, set at ISO-400...it's bad enough I had to push this image the equivalent of 2 stops:

http://members.aol.com/jjmdimunno/Circus_Milmay.jpg

That's all I've got folks...maybe we'll have better weather for the return trip? MAYBE? PLEASE?!? Well I suppose it can't be any worse than today...well unless it manages to hail or something...

Take care.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!
 #15775  by CRRNJ878

April 27, 2004 Article Atlantic City Press Online

Circus train arrives in Tuckahoe
By RICHARD DEGENER Staff Writer,

UPPER TOWNSHIP - Railroad buff Scott Hertel follows the whereabouts of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey circus train via the Internet. He probably has a better idea of where the train is headed than some of the circus performers riding in it.

Hertel knows when it is heading to Providence, R.I., or Hershey, Pa. He once drove all the way to New England to catch a glimpse of one of the last circus shows to still follow the 19th century tradition of traveling by rail.

"I've even followed it down the highway just to get a good photo," Hertel admitted.

That's why Hertel, a Beesleys Point resident, had no problem waiting for six hours on a cold, rainy day for it to pull in here at the Tuckahoe train station. It may sound a bit nutty, but think of a baseball fan having the World Series come right to his back yard.

Hertel and about 50 other train enthusiasts were rewarded at 7:29 Monday night when the 36-car train came rolling into town. It was about six hours late, but nobody seemed to mind.

"I've seen it, but I've never seen it here," said Hertel.

The arrival was not promoted, but that didn't keep railroad buffs from getting the word out. They came from all over.

"Its just word of mouth. They feel the vibes that they have to get over to the Tuckahoe junction," said Tom Moran, who works for Cape May Seashore Lines.

Dave Diano said it is a highlight in his life. The Pine Hill resident said he once drove to Clementon just to get a glimpse of the circus train going by. This time, the train stopped at the station.

"It's the first time a 36-car train has ever been down this way since the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore days," Diano said.

Actually, according to Tony Macrie of Cape May Seashore Lines, the most passenger cars ever to enter Cape May County was a 17-car steam train heading from Camden to Cape May in 1968. So this was the largest train ever to come here and the first passenger train based outside Cape May County to grace the tracks since 1981. Cape May Seashore Lines still runs passenger trains, but it is based here in the county.

The train was supposed to arrive at 1:30 in the afternoon. Lou Albrecht, who knows trains - he traveled by rail from Wildwood to California as a 2-year-old in 1927 - didn't arrive until 2:30

"I figured trains are always late," Albrecht said after 7 p.m. but still hanging in there. There were about 200 people here earlier in the day. A lot of people left, but some just wouldn't leave the station.

"I think it's the mystique of The Greatest Show on Earth and having it right here in Tuckahoe. It's a major local event," Macrie said.

Circuses once used horses and wagons to get around but began using trains in the 1840s. The tradition grew as the nation's railroads grew. The first transcontinental railroad created the first transcontinental circus in the 1860s. P.T. Barnum, James A. Bailey, and the 5 Ringling brothers all used trains to bring their shows to different venues. In 1911, there were 32 "railroad circuses" in the country. Now there are only two.

It wouldn't matter who was on the train for some Tuckahoe residents. They came out just to see a train back on the tracks. They've been ecstatic in recent years as the old train station was restored. Cape May Seashore Lines ran trains this past weekend from Tuckahoe to Woodbine, the first passenger line run since 1981.

"I miss that whistle blowing," said Joan Wood, who spent all 50 years of her life in a house right by the tracks.

Her grandfather and two uncles worked for the railroad. As a child they let her throw the switch in the switch tower next to her house.

"This is a railroad community," Wood said.

Bertha Migliaccio, 89, whose husband, John, was a conductor, huddled under an umbrella as she watched the circus train.

"It brings back memories," Migliaccio said.

Tommy Rinck, 13, helps Cape May Seashore Lines on weekends and after school. He fell in love with trains at the age of 2 when his father brought him here to see the freight trains that still rumble by with coal for the local power plant. He even gets paid sometimes, but doesn't really care about the money.

"It just gets me around trains," said the blonde-haired seventh-grader.

At 7:29 p.m, April 26, little Tommy Rinck saw the circus train come to town, all 36 cars. It was worth the wait. It is a day he will never forget.

To e-mail Richard Degener at The Press:

[email protected]
 #15800  by OCtrainguy

That's a good story. Being in the rain for almost two hours, my wife was having some fun with me about "the fine line between dedicated and crazy". Especially after being in the rain on April 12th. Hopefully, the weather will be better next Monday for the next move.
 #15818  by JJMDiMunno

OCtrainguy wrote:That's a good story. Being in the rain for almost two hours, my wife was having some fun with me about "the fine line between dedicated and crazy". Especially after being in the rain on April 12th. Hopefully, the weather will be better next Monday for the next move.
Well, I crossed that crazy line long ago.

On a more optimistic note, it looks to be sunny next Monday on the extremely un-reliable 5-day forecast from the Weather Channel...anyone want to place a wager on how late the move will run next time? I'll start the betting with the first wager at 3 hours. Ran 5 hours and 45 minutes late from the original timetable this time, I figure CMSL and SRNJ will be more reliable than Conrail / CSX in prepping it for it's move north, so it has a chance of being a little bit more on time next time around...