Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1493630  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

Where is the painting of your Christmas Card located? The reason I ask is with a mountain visible
in the background it looks like central or western Pennsylvania but taking note to the tender logo
which looks like "Sunrise Special" or another LIRR prime East End train along with the first car...

It still looks like a nice scene to me and with that note I wish you and all LIRR Forum members
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and the best for an eventful 2019...MACTRAXX
 #1493632  by nyandw

MACTRAXX: It's a painting by: David Tutwiler for the National Railway Museum, as I recall. "Sunrise Special" on the tender, but the loco number doesn't work. A number of the "eagle eyed" folks have brought up the accuracy of the paintings locale... It's a Christmas card sent to all our Family and Friends. I figured one of you sharp eyed Folks would comment on it! 😊 It reads “Westend Coal”… No clue as to why, David Tutwiler the artist, went this route. But, messing with it was not what I wanted to do. As the song lyrics read: “Only You Know and I Know” (Watchtower: writer: Bob Dylan, famous recordings: Jimi Hendrix and Dave Mason) I liked it as it captured the steam essence of the Season goin' home, a lonely station out East, long shadows on the tracks thus a westbound returning, etc. A reality painting, no... Enjoy it for what is conjures up, not the reality that existed! :-)
 #1493997  by newkirk

Here's my Christmas card, hope you like it.
(click photo to enlarge)
 #1494017  by Meal Period

That Lirr Steam card is very difficult to find. Leaning tree used to offer it, then the National Railroad Museum did. I cant find it anywhere. Can you tell us where you found it? It's got a few errors, but its supposed to be the LIRR. There is also a K-4 at Red Bank that's nice.
 #1494028  by nyandw

Meal Period wrote:That Lirr Steam card is very difficult to find. Leaning tree used to offer it, then the National Railroad Museum did. I cant find it anywhere. Can you tell us where you found it? It's got a few errors, but its supposed to be the LIRR. There is also a K-4 at Red Bank that's nice.

I received this card years back. I can't find it either. I did find this: http://www.tutwilerfineart.com/CHRISTMAS-CARDS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The National Railway Museum Christmas card program has been discontinued. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on a Studio line of Christmas cards that we hope to have available soon. We will post a notice as soon as it is available."

I'd move on.. :-(
 #1494794  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:
Just noticed the mention on WCBS-2 News that the last official white Christmas in the NYC area
was back in 2009 in which there was two inches of snow on the ground on average.
This information shows that Christmas snow on Long Island is not a regular occurrance.

BM: How old is your picture of a westbound Oyster Bay Branch train at Locust Valley?
With the C3 equipment in service now in their 20th year (introduced 1998) there is only
the substantial snow amount which may help date this picture for those that do not know.

Being that this is Christmas Eve 2018 it is appropriate that this topic is again brought up so we
can all wish one another the best of holidays into the New Year 2019...MACTRAXX
 #1494863  by newkirk

MACTRAXX Wrote: How old is your picture of a westbound Oyster Bay Branch train at Locust Valley?
With the C3 equipment in service now in their 20th year (introduced 1998) there is only
the substantial snow amount which may help date this picture for those that do not know.
That was photographed on January 1, 2001.
Notice the slight elevation in the perspective. That's because I brought along a 6 ft ladder in my Chevy Blazer.
Stepped up a couple of rungs and voila! Instant elevation.
An earlier use of the ladder was to photograph the yet to open West Side yard below.