Railroad Forums 

• Chicagoland Railyards

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1017241  by Minneapolitan

It doesn't take too long to figure out that, historically, Chicago is filled with parallel railroad routes - particularly on the South Side. For example, New York Central and Pennsylvania were directly side by side from Englewood all the way into Indiana. Nickel Plate Road was also parallel to these from Englewood to Grand Crossing. This was the case all over Chicago, and it makes identifying old railroad yards very difficult...sometimes impossible without knowledgeable Chicagoans.

I'm putting this thread here because I'm interested in more of a historical sense, as opposed to how Chicago operates today.

First question: Who had yards along 95th Street between Commercial Avenue and Stony Island Avenue? As far as I know, B&O, Pere Marquette, Rock Island and BRC all went through this corridor. There's still a yard there closer to Commercial Avenue, and the remnants of another closer to Stony Island. But I can't tell whose these were.

What's the scoop? Any information on other old yards in the Chicagoland area would great as well! Maps and/links if you've got'em.
 #1017304  by shlustig

NKP had trackage rights over the NYC from La Salle St. Station to JN Tower just west of Grand Crossing, from which they diverged to the North and then ramped down and curved southward under the NYC and PRR. The current issue of the NKPHTS quarterly has an excellent map of the Chicago routes.

Also, IIRC, there was a detailed map of the Chicago Terminal area in an issue of Trains c. 1955 or so.