Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1298120  by sipes23

The first is somewhere on the Red Line between Chinatown and 95th along the Dan Ryan. For some reason (and my memory is fuzzy this far back), I think the first one could be near Comiskey Park.

The second is obviously downtown. My memory here is not good, but I'd be unsurprised to find out that this is just south of Washington and Wabash looking north. The building just across the river looks like the old Sun-Times building.
 #1298200  by EricL

sipes23 wrote:The first is somewhere on the Red Line between Chinatown and 95th along the Dan Ryan. For some reason (and my memory is fuzzy this far back), I think the first one could be near Comiskey Park.

The second is obviously downtown. My memory here is not good, but I'd be unsurprised to find out that this is just south of Washington and Wabash looking north. The building just across the river looks like the old Sun-Times building.
Yes, the top photo is most definitely looking southeast from the platform at Sox-35th. The dead giveaway is the Stateway Gardens housing projects in the background. These buildings had a different appearance than their Robert Taylor neighbors to the south.
 #1298207  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: That first picture is of a Dan Ryan Line train - that first CTA car pair is a mid 60s 2000 series with the 70s gray and silver
color scheme at Sox-35 station - as Eric mentions...The stainless steel plate on the front door below the window had the old CTA
logo etched into it - only those 2000 series cars had that...

The second picture is looking north near the intersection of Lake and Wabash Streets at the NE corner of the Loop L - that is a 2400
series Boeing car on the curve above - with the old Chicago Sun-Times Building in the background that was clearly visible from that
location...I remember the sign reading CHICAGO DAILY NEWS was right below and when that paper was discontinued in 1978-79 that
lettering was removed...See: http://en.wikipedia.com/wiki/Chicago_Daily_News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will add that this photograph shows the location of the infamous February 1978 CTA derailment in which cars fell to the street in
the aftermath of a rear-end collision and to safeguard the outer edge of sharp curves like the Lake-Wabash turn the CTA installed
used girders as protection on the L structure - a good move in my opinion...

These pictures bring back a couple of memories of my Chicago "visiting years" of 1973-1988...MACTRAXX

#1298278  by sipes23

EricL wrote:Yes, the top photo is most definitely looking southeast from the platform at Sox-35th. The dead giveaway is the Stateway Gardens housing projects in the background. These buildings had a different appearance than their Robert Taylor neighbors to the south.
It's one of those things. Stateway Gardens haven't been gone all that long (seven years according to Wikipedia), but the memory fades. I suppose it also doesn't help that I didn't really start using the L to 35th until about 2002. There were years I didn't go to many Sox games due to living away, and my dad always drove when I was a kid.
 #1299498  by EricL

sipes23 wrote:
EricL wrote:Yes, the top photo is most definitely looking southeast from the platform at Sox-35th. The dead giveaway is the Stateway Gardens housing projects in the background. These buildings had a different appearance than their Robert Taylor neighbors to the south.
It's one of those things. Stateway Gardens haven't been gone all that long (seven years according to Wikipedia), but the memory fades. I suppose it also doesn't help that I didn't really start using the L to 35th until about 2002. There were years I didn't go to many Sox games due to living away, and my dad always drove when I was a kid.
Here I go, veering way off of the topic of rail transit!

The Stateway project was of course less memorable to most people, since it occupied a smaller area, and was less prominent to passers-by. Anyone coming up the Ryan (or the Rock Island) had a distinct and long-lasting view of the two-mile stretch of the nearly identical Taylor buildings. The only variation to them was that some were clad in red brick, while others were finished with an off-white color.

Stateway persisted slightly longer before demolition, as during the final years, it came to have a stronger resident council. Of course its closer proximity to "better" areas like the ballpark, IIT, De La Salle, etc. couldn't have hurt either. The buildings themselves were marginally more well-designed and attractive, imo, than the subsequent Taylor buildings. (For one of my sociology classes, we actually took a 'field trip' across the street to Stateway, to make a cursory tour and talk with the resident council... this was more of a deliberate set-up than an authentic experience - it was meant to provide a first-hand subtext to Sudhir Venkatesh's book - but it still made a lasting impression upon me.)

I, too, did not make any good use of the L before my IIT attendance in 2003. Most of my memories of the 'old' Dan Ryan line were, indeed, from driving along it. My family used to make several-times-weekly trips from Evergreen Park up to Children's Memorial Hospital, via 87th St, the Ryan, and Lake Shore Drive. I'd often enquire to my mother - while sitting in morning traffic - what are those trains over there? Why can't we just take those? Of course it was not obvious to me, as a youngster, why such transport might be deemed unfit for use by a white suburban mother traveling alone with her two kids.

The first time I even heard the term "L" was on a day when my grandpa was serving as substitute driver. As we passed under the (then closed for rebuild/1994) Englewood line, I enquired to him, what's that high bridge up there? It used to look so old and rusty, and now it looks nice and new, but still I've never noticed anything passing over it? He replied, simply, that it was "the L"... no mention of that that letter meant or its significance. Thinking maybe I misheard, I asked him again, "what?" and again he snapped, "the L!" I remained puzzled. What did "L" mean? I knew it was for trains, since I had previously seen the remnants of the old Wentworth station up there before (which were mostly removed with the rehab.) But the whole system remained a mystery to me until fall '03, when I enrolled at IIT, and the 35th Street station of the Green Line became my gateway to the entire city...
 #1299617  by MACTRAXX

"I will add that this photograph shows the location of the infamous February 1977 CTA derailment in which cars fell to the street in
the aftermath of a rear-end collision and to safeguard the outer edge of sharp curves like the Lake-Wabash turn the CTA installed
used girders as protection on the L structure - a good move in my opinion..."

Everyone: From checking http://www.chicago-l.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I found that the date of this accident was February 4,1977...
See the "Mishaps and Unusual Occurrences" section...

I remember hearing about this accident and subsequently talking about it with my Uncle - who was a CTA Motorman at the time...
It was one of CTA's worst accidents in its history - and still is to this day...

MACTRAXX