Railroad Forums 

• Chessie Painted Locos

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#6147  by CNW4404

I've seen a few chessie locos still painted for small roads, etc, but none are left on CSX proper, are there?

If not, is there a list somewhere of all small roads with Chessie painted power?

#6183  by trainfreak

Well after taking a look at the online CSX bible...there seems to be three units left in Chessie paint. Numbers 9120, 9121, 9122. All three units are RCPHE4's. As for small roads that have Chessie units i dont know.

#6617  by GC&EShay12

There is also a C&O unit still floating around last seen in Maryland i seen it last may come through here in WV

Scott

#20356  by mu26aeh

Last month in Brunswick, MD, I saw a B&O GP38/40 still in the solid blue paint scheme. very rare.

#20382  by metman499

There was a Chessie painted unit in Allentown a few weeks ago. It was buried so I could not see who owned it but it was missing parts/sheetmetal.

#20392  by octr202

AFAIK, those 9120 series units aren't really locomotives anymore. I believe they are an experiment in producing a remote control platform, to which a working unit would be MUed in order to produce a remote control motive power set. I noticed that in the picture of 9121 it didn't appear to have ditch lights...although seemingly even the remote control platform would need these in order to operate over grade crossings if it was leading...

#20870  by crazy_nip

"I noticed that in the picture of 9121 it didn't appear to have ditch lights...although seemingly even the remote control platform would need these in order to operate over grade crossings if it was leading..."

actually that is incorrect...

you just need ditch lights if proceeding over a grade crossing at speeds OVER 20 MPH

these things almost never leave the yard, and move at yard speed, so they dont need ditch lights

#21357  by octr202

Thanks Nip...I got the ditch light rule wrong. Now I remember that that's how Amtrak got around the ditch light rule on teh E60's in their last years -- never ran them over grade crossings.

So are the 9120 and friends still intact, working locomotives? I had been lead to believe elsewhere that they are just shells with RC brains (sort of like a remote controlled cabbage car).

#21920  by crazy_nip

they still have the prime movers, but have been scavenged of parts, have the radiators plated over and fans removed, no dynamics either...

so no, they are not locomotives anymore

I wouldnt be surprised if they had their traction motors removed too, if they were of any use

#25514  by Robert Paniagua

I also remember the old Chessie Paint Scheme Locomotives back in the late 1980's when I lived in Germantown, MD, located in Southern Montgomery County right along the MARC's Brunswick Extension, and I got to see the freight trains there all the time with Chessie-painted locos. At a few occasions, those Chessie engines even towed a few MARC Passenger trains when they broke down, I even saw that once from a WMATA METRO Red Line train back in early 1987 between Rockville and Shady Grove Station, and another time at the Rockville Station, also from a WMATA train when I was living in the area. Pretty interesting.........

#25589  by octr202

Rob,

MARC actually leased one or two Chessie GP40's for a long stretch, back in the late 80's early 90's as they went through their motive power crunches. At least one of the old F-units on MARC (IIRC, #9100) was actually just a cab car/HEP unit -- like a LIRR powerpack. For a long while this operated on the B&O side with a Chessie painted Geep from CSXT, so it was a regular fixture in Washington Union Station. Of course, this is back when MARC was a rolling railroad museum, with freight engines, ex-BN E-9's, RDC's, rebuilt F units -- along side a few AEM-7's for good measure!

#25751  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I actually remember that, Octr202. The various units that MARC then leased.

And I didn't know that the E unit you were referring to was just head-end power, not to be used as a driver's purpose.

FYI that E unit number was 7100, not 9100, and I think there was another such rounded e or F unit with 7100, Unit 81, the remainder are GP40s or so.

#27205  by dkgrubb

There is a surviving Chessie System unit on the South Branch Valley Railroad in West Virginia.