Railroad Forums 

• Chesapeake Railroad Power?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#348543  by Aardvark

I know this subject has been beat to death... But I was browsing the internet and found this pic

Is this the power that was used on the short lived Chesapeake Railroad on the old Clayton-Oxford branch or just a coincidence from some other railroad?

#349190  by PVRX1

that would be them.
 #349351  by RailVet

Last year it was reported in Railpace that No. 85 was scrapped, leaving just #95. No. 85 is the one typically used on the Chesapeake Railroad, which stopped running in mid-1997 when its operating insurance lapsed, and vacated the line entirely in October 1998. I'm not sure if No. 95 ever ran at all while on the CHRR, and may have been out of service the entire time.
 #356912  by RailVet

I should have added that, a couple of years after the Chesapeake Railroad shut down, I visited them at the Clayton (DE) interchange. By then they had been thoroughly vandalized, and there's wasn't one bit of unbroken glass to be found anywhere on either one. The wiring had been ripped out of the electrical panels and the independent and automatic brake handles had been stolen. I was later surprised to learn both locomotives had been moved to PA, because they were in such sorry shape and their most likely fate appeared to be the scrapper's torch.
 #383274  by RailVet

A recent visit to Topton, PA, eastern end of the East Penn Railway's branch to Kutztown, where a conversation with the rail crew confirmed that both of the ex-CHRR 80-ton Whitcombs are gone. They were acquired by a buff group and shipped to Topton with the idea of using them for excursion service. It's not clear if they ever paid NS for the shipment and apparently they were behind on their payments to the EPRY as well. They cut up one (the one that ran on the CHRR - the other, I think, was never operational) in 2005, at least in part so they could say they had the ONLY one left of its type. (What's wrong with saying they had the last TWO of their type?) The EPRY wasn't getting paid its rent and eventually had enough by 2006. The buffs started to scrap the last one but the EPRY finally called in a scrapper to do it right, and soon it was gone too. So much for ill-conceived, under-funded buff plans.