Railroad Forums 

• Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#830499  by Mr. Ed

Yesterday, I was in Prince Frederick, MD, and on my way home, I came out MD routes 2 and 4, Solomon Island Rd. As I passed Plum Point Road, I saw a sign that pointed up the road that said Railroad Museum. What museum is this and how far up the road is it? I went up about 5 minutes and didn't find anything so I turned around and continued home. Thanks.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #830909  by hutton_switch

It's a bit odd that a nondescript sign for the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum would be at that intersection, with no additional guidance telling how far, what, and exactly where the museum is. As it was, you would have had to go a good bit further. Anyhow, the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum is located in the old station terminus of that line on the grounds of the Rod 'n Reel Restaurant/Charter Fishing/Hotel complex, at Chesapeake Beach, MD. In addition to the station itself, there are a few surviving artifacts of the railway, including part of a passenger car nicknamed "Dolores" and a couple of restored steam locomotive cabs. The Chesapeake Beach Railway was in its heyday approximately between 1900 and 1935, running between Hyattsville, MD and Chesapeake Beach, MD. Chesapeake Beach was the major beach resort for Washingtonians during that time before traveling to the Atlantic Ocean seashore became more readily accessible with ferries across the bay and later, completion of construction of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 1953. Rehoboth and Bethany Beaches, plus Ocean City later eclipsed Chesapeake Beach as the beach resorts to go to, after people were able to purchase automobiles and go and come as they pleased.

There is a history of the Chesapeake Beach Railway, by now out of print, by Ames W. Williams, Otto Mears Goes East: The Chesapeake Beach Railway if you're interested in learning about the line. I think there might still be copies for sale at the museum itself, but used online booksellers have readily-available copies. The next time you're in that area, a visit to the museum is definitely worthwhile, as well as a seafood dinner at the Rod 'n Reel next door.
 #830962  by Aa3rt

Mr. Ed-It's unfortunate that you didn't choose to pursue this any further as a visit to the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum is always a pleasureable experience. I think you'll find that the curator and docents are usually knowledgeable, friendly and helpful, a cut above what I've encountered at some other railroad museums or tourist railroads during my travels.

There's not much that I can add to Mr. Rice's response except to say that the depot itself has been lovingly restored and most, if not all, of the items on display relate to the Chesapeake Beach Railway or the resort that was once quite an attraction in the region.

Another little tidbit-there was a short lived traction line that ran from the depot in Chesapeake Beach to North Beach and is briefly touched upon in Mr. Williams' book.

The Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum does have a website that can be found here:

http://www.cbrm.org
 #831013  by Mr. Ed

Thank you both for your responses. I will seek it out now that I know where it is on my next trip. This was the first time I was down that way since it was to see a new customer for a new product line we just picked up.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #1036457  by Aa3rt

The Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum will be holding a special event Sunday, April 15th, 2012 to commemorate the 77th anniversary of the last passenger train departing Chesapeake Beach. From the CBRM's Facebook page:

This Sunday will be the Farewell Party, where we commemorate the last train pulling out of the station on April 15th. Starts at 11:40 am and we will ring the bell for every year the Railway was in service, followed by some light refreshments. Come on out and join us!

The CBRM's webpage: http://www.CBRM.org