Railroad Forums 

• Chemical Coast Sighting

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1254445  by hazmatmess

Caught CN #2461 today by exit 13a of the NJTPK. It was standing by, north bound on the Chemical Coastline.
Attachments:
blueCN.jpg
blueCN.jpg (476.9 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
 #1254466  by waldwickrailfan

hazmatmess wrote:Caught CN #2461 today by exit 13a of the NJTPK. It was standing by, north bound on the Chemical Coastline.
That came in on NS 64E. Going to go out on NS 65E whenever it decides to leave
 #1254632  by BigDell

Ooooo a little CN action! I'm liking that. I quite often see something "fun" on the Chemical Coast as I'm driving up the NJT. Of course I don't want to try and whip out the iPhone as I'm doing 55+ (okay 70+) on the highway, so I really "ought" to mount a camera on the side of the care and be ready to shoot.... :-)
Nice catch!
 #1254671  by hazmatmess

BigDell wrote:Ooooo a little CN action! I'm liking that. I quite often see something "fun" on the Chemical Coast as I'm driving up the NJT. Of course I don't want to try and whip out the iPhone as I'm doing 55+ (okay 70+) on the highway, so I really "ought" to mount a camera on the side of the care and be ready to shoot.... :-)
Nice catch!

I don't use the phone while driving, do not want that ticket. I just pulled over. Read up on the blue CN units. I like what I saw. Too bad I couldn't pull over on the ramp of exit 14 when I saw the Soo unit.
 #1254807  by BigDell

I don't use the phone while driving, do not want that ticket. I just pulled over. Read up on the blue CN units. I like what I saw. Too bad I couldn't pull over on the ramp of exit 14 when I saw the Soo unit.

Nor do I. I've been tempted to pull over onto the shoulder a couple times, but that is also risky. NJ State Police are pretty good about pulling up to cars "in distress". I don't want to explain that I'm railfanning... But it's tempting.
In the old days, when I was a kid, I'd stand at Elizabeth Station and catch the CNJ/LV/Reading/B&O action below and the PC/CNJ action above and that was trainwatching heaven. I think Chemical Coast along the turnpike is probably the most "interesting" place in the area to catch something fun and different.
 #1254909  by Ken W2KB

BigDell wrote:

Nor do I. I've been tempted to pull over onto the shoulder a couple times, but that is also risky. NJ State Police are pretty good about pulling up to cars "in distress". I don't want to explain that I'm railfanning... But it's tempting.
In the old days, when I was a kid, I'd stand at Elizabeth Station and catch the CNJ/LV/Reading/B&O action below and the PC/CNJ action above and that was trainwatching heaven. I think Chemical Coast along the turnpike is probably the most "interesting" place in the area to catch something fun and different.
Particularly as it is illegal under NJTP regulations to stop except in an emergency and also specifically to slow or stop to take photos. So the Troopers would take particular interest.
 #1254961  by hazmatmess

Ken W2KB wrote:
BigDell wrote:

Particularly as it is illegal under NJTP regulations to stop except in an emergency and also specifically to slow or stop to take photos. So the Troopers would take particular interest.

If a trooper pulled up, I would kindly and respectfully explain that I heard a funny noise coming from under my car. I had to make sure there wasn't something dragging. I think I was pulled over for about 45 seconds to a minute. And if I got a ticket, ok just pay the fine and be on my merry way.
 #1255035  by Ken W2KB

hazmatmess wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:
BigDell wrote:

If a trooper pulled up, I would kindly and respectfully explain that I heard a funny noise coming from under my car. I had to make sure there wasn't something dragging. I think I was pulled over for about 45 seconds to a minute. And if I got a ticket, ok just pay the fine and be on my merry way.
Which could convert a motor vehicle offense into a far more serious criminal offense. Especially problematic if the Trooper saw the camera in use and heard that explanation.
 #1255094  by CJPat

Always stick to the truth. Any other route will lead to a world of hurt. Especially when dealing with the NJSP. They are serious as a heart attack. And with all the nut jobs they normally encounter in their day, I can't say that I blame them for how they approach and handle a situation.