Railroad Forums 

• Chelsea, MA Local

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#96217  by octr202

Has the CHelsea/Everett, MA local (I believe its B721) changed its schedule and/or call time recently. I was under the impression that it was called for like 5:00 or 6:00 PM in Beacon Park, but lately I've seen it returning from Chelsea through Cambridge around 5:00 PM. Anyone (looks toward one forum member in particular :wink: ) know what its typical schedule is now?

#96225  by Stephen

I worked in the Kendal Square area for several years up to this past October and the CSX train seemed to run back towards Beacon Park between 5:00 and 7:00 most days. So, I suspect that it calls earlier.
As you said, I am sure someone else can give a more complete answer...
- Stephen

#96555  by CSX Conductor

Octr, the report time for B721 is 300PM in Chelsea. There are a few "windows" of opportunity between 400/430 to get through FX & Swift and onto the Grand Jct without causing delayes for the commuter rush out of North Station. :wink:

#96572  by octr202

CSX Conductor wrote:Octr, the report time for B721 is 300PM in Chelsea. There are a few "windows" of opportunity between 400/430 to get through FX & Swift and onto the Grand Jct without causing delayes for the commuter rush out of North Station. :wink:
Ah ha...so the crew is based out of Chelsea? I assume the power lays over out there then overnight? Seems odd to me, but that does explain the operating schedule.

Where are their customers in Chelsea and Everett located? I'm assuming they must make the run to Beacon Park first, and then switch the customers later in the evening....

#96596  by CSX Conductor

All of their customers are within the New England Produce Center. The engine can be seen from the RTE.99 overpass over Rte16.

Some cars are spotted upon returning from Beacon Park and whatever doesnt get doen at night is done the next day before heading to Beacon Park.

#96603  by efin98

I swear the number of times I've gone through that area, I have never been lucky enough to see that train in operation...

CSXConductor, does the train ever sound it's horns before or after leaving Chelsea/Everett? I'd be interested in knowing if that's them sounding off loud around 4pm. If it's them, those horns carry pretty good through this city(and quite welcome addition IMHO)
 #96673  by GP40MC1118

Railfans take note: L721 has been coming on duty early Sundays,
so daylight photos are possible....Late morning/early afternoon.
Guess it depends if the produce is in off Q420...

D

#96823  by CSX Conductor

Ed, they may blow for Beacham Street when coming out of Proverlizer, but not sure.

You might be hearin them or a commuter on the crossing (Monsanto, I believe) behind the Home Depot and plaza in Everett.

#96875  by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:Ed, they may blow for Beacham Street when coming out of Proverlizer, but not sure.

You might be hearin them or a commuter on the crossing (Monsanto, I believe) behind the Home Depot and plaza in Everett.
MBCR has had a Bulletin item since 10/19/04 requiring that whistles be blown for Second St. in Everett. This is the first crossing east of the area of the Produce Center.

#96945  by efin98

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look to know for sure.

#99405  by MikeB

Is B 721 a daily operation? it sounds like a good time to see it cross the Charles would be anywhere from 4 and 6 pm.
 #99410  by GP40MC1118

They run Sunday through Friday, but lately they have not been working
on Fridays. Guess it depends on incoming traffic and whether it can wait
to be spotted at NEP Sunday afternoon or night.

Also, they have been coming on duty earlier on Sundays.

Dave

#99434  by efin98

It's off season so there is less produce coming in, probably makes more sense for Sunday to Thursday trains with Fridays added later on in the year.

#99564  by CSX Conductor

Hate to say it Dave, but Ed has ya beat. LOL. B721 only works Sunday through Thursdays. In the summer months business requires working on Fridays. :wink:

#108594  by consist

Have they hit any idiots on Mass Ave yet? It's fun watching confused people stuck at the traffic light having to back up and let the train through. Probably a letter to the editor will pop up soon in the Globe - "Why is an ugly freight train interrupting traffic on Mass Ave at rush hour? Can't we get rid of it?" Unaware of how many potatoes and other vegetables they've eaten that came to town on that route.