Railroad Forums 

• Chelmsford, MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1394393  by b&m 1566

Does Pan Am use the north/south leg of the wye in Chelmsford? I don't know of any trains that operate between Lowell and Nashua.
 #1394469  by Rockingham Racer

What your asking about is actually the Northern main line, I think. The two legs of the wye connect the Northern to the Stoney Brook.

Technically, it's North Chelmsford.
 #1394470  by BostonUrbEx

The north leg is usually used to set off Nashua blocks, but NA-1/NA-2 may use it in their moves between Nashua and the Lowell area.
 #1394478  by b&m 1566

Rockingham Racer wrote:What your asking about is actually the Northern main line, I think. The two legs of the wye connect the Northern to the Stoney Brook.

Technically, it's North Chelmsford.
It is the Northern but I was trying to refer to the north to south section (I should've worded it better). North Chelmsford is Chelmsford, it's not a separate town.
 #1394480  by b&m 1566

BostonUrbEx wrote:The north leg is usually used to set off Nashua blocks, but NA-1/NA-2 may use it in their moves between Nashua and the Lowell area.
I had no idea the NA locals went to and from Lowell.
 #1394529  by BostonUrbEx

They'll come down all the time, usually to put an East Deerfield block just east of NC and to fish cars out of the turnouts at Lowell. Usually every time they complete a round trip on the Hillsboro or Northern they will do this.