Railroad Forums 

• Chasing the NS from TUnkhannock Viaduct to Shickshinny...

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #240639  by AdamCKach

[This is a repost of mine from RF.net. Enjoy.]

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is worth 10,000. :)

http://www.kachurak.com/ns03042006.wmv

First time railfanning. Not sure what was more fun - seeing the trains, or trying to beat it to the next photo spot. Beating it to Taylor and Slaba's was easy since it travelled much slower than we did. However, from Slaba to Mock was quite the race.

The voice on the video is my father. When we were at Nicholson, we hiked up the road and kept our distance from the tracks. However, when we were leaving, we could not tell if the noise was the wind or a locomotive. I walked a little closer, and saw it just start to come around the bend. I ran back for a wide angle shot. From there, we wanted to see if we could keep up with it. The most difficult period was between Route 29/11 and Moq. Because we were late getting to Nanticoke, we knew we would have to book it to Moq. As soon as the lead locomotive clears the Market Street crossing in Nanticoke, it opens it up to 55-60 MPH. For a while, we were neck and neck with the thoroughbred - on our respective sides of the Susquehanna. Luckily, he had to slow it moderately when he crossed the grade at the State Corrections facility outside of Shichshinny, and we beat him to Moq. The sun was setting, and we decided to leave the Nicholson to Sunbury and/or other points south for a long summer day.

I reduced the quality/resolution so the file would be under 10MB. The whole compilation raw was over 250. :o

Nevertheless, enjoy.