Railroad Forums 

• Chasing railbeds in New York State

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1222751  by RussNelson

If you're out chasing railbeds in New York State, whether former or current, it helps to have a map. I have (with many friends) produced such a map, called OpenStreetMap. The map is not (yet) in paper form; it's only electronic. However, you can load it into any Android phone or tablet using OSMAnd (it's in the Google Play market). It will download the data into the phone, and you can download it using WiFi, so you don't need a cellphone data subscription AND it works when you're out in the boonies without cell coverage. The authors of OSMAnd want a few bucks for the program, but it's less than any purchased meal worth eating. (There's an iPhone program which also uses OSM data, but I know nothing about it.)

I greatly enjoy using this program. I encourage you to try it out. If you have any questions, or need help, feel free to drop me an email or private message here. Or if you think it's a question that others might appreciate having answered, ask it here.
 #1222929  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

RussNelson wrote:If you're out chasing railbeds in New York State, whether former or current, it helps to have a map. I have (with many friends) produced such a map, called OpenStreetMap.
Thanks Russ! I use it all the time. It really came in handy this summer when I was trying to find some of the old NY right-of-ways.